1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Antiderivative of reciprocal

1. Mar 9, 2008 #1
    1. Find the antiderivative of 1/(x+3)^2

Okayy i knwo this is an easy problem but i COMPLETELY forget how to do it.
    Ive tried using partial fractions but it doesnt seem to be working.
    I just need to know how to start the problem then i should be alright from there.
    Thank you!!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 9, 2008 #2
    [tex]\int\frac{dx}{(x+3)^2}[/tex]

[tex]u=x+3[/tex]
    [tex]du=dx[/tex]

You need a major review!!! Makes no sense ... you can evaluate Integrals using Partial Fractions but yet you've forgotten basic u-sub? Weird.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2008
  4. Mar 9, 2008 #3
    oh gosh.
    IIIII'm just going to go hang myself right now.
    Ill just use the excuse that im smack dab in the middle of midterms thus in the state of mind that every thing is harder than it should be.
    Thanks .... i definitely wont let myself make the same mistake again.

5. Mar 9, 2008 #4

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Tell him what you really think, roco! :rolleyes:

cemar, he's right. By attempting to use partial fractions you're trying to use a sledgehammer when a nutcracker will do. :smile: You should hit the calc book and review the chapter entitled "Techniques of Integration" or something like that. Most calc books lay the material out in the order in which you should be thinking of them, kind of like a mental checklist. u-sub is invariably first, and that is the first thing you should try when confronted with a nonelementary antiderivative.

6. Mar 9, 2008 #5
    **her.
    And thanks im definitely planning on getting the hardcore review on after that slightly embarassing display of where im at in calculus right now.
    And for the record sledgehammers are a lot funner to use than nutcrackers.
    =)

7. Mar 9, 2008 #6
    Lol, don't worry about it. You're stressed but remember, stay grounded and simple!

Wish you the best on your midterm :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?