1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Antiderivative of the following function

1. Sep 25, 2005 #1
    How would you guys come about getting the antiderivative for the following function?

8u^5 / ((4 + u^4)^2)

I tried rearranging the equation like the following:

8u^5 * ((4 + u^4)^(-2)), but it's not really getting me anywhere. I tried to do a u substitution, but can't find one where it knocks off the top u^5.

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2005 #2
    I take it that you're taking the A.D. wrt u?
    My TI89 gives:
    pi*atan(u^2/2)/180 - (2*u^2/(u^4+4))
    Which in turn tells me that your calculus text should have a table for it in one of the appendices.
    Look for it in the TOC, or index.
    Look for an indefinite integral that has the general form:
    a*x^(n)/(x^(n-1) +(n-1))^(2)
    Or something similar.

4. Sep 25, 2005 #3
    Integration by parts and you'll have to use trig substitution. That's a nasty one. Good luck!

5. Sep 26, 2005 #4

hotvette

Homework Helper

Here are a couple of hints. Try the substitution x = u2. That should help reduce things to a more manageable integrand. After that, a little clever algebra and a trig substitution will get you there. Not a trivial problem.

hotvette

Last edited: Sep 26, 2005
  6. Sep 29, 2005 #5

Hmm, any hint on what the clever algebra should be? I can't really figure it out from here. I have simplified the equation down to

4x2 / (4 + x2)2 dx

using x = u2

7. Sep 29, 2005 #6

hotvette

Homework Helper

Try adding and subtracting the same number from the top. Gather terms and split the problem into 2 problems.

Example: if I have y in the numerator, y - 2 + 2, or (y - 2) + 2 is the same thing. Just pick the right number to add and subtract.

8. Sep 29, 2005 #7
    Thanks for the reply. Am I on the right track?

4x2 / (4 + x2)2 dx
    = (4x2 + 16 - 16) / (4 + x2)2 dx
    = 4((x2 + 4) - 4)) / (4 + x2)2 dx
    = (4 / (4 + x2)) - (4/ (4 + x2)2) dx

9. Sep 29, 2005 #8

hotvette

Homework Helper

You bet. The first one is readily integrated and the second is w/ a trig substitution. My college calc book has an entire section on appropriate trig substitutions based on what the integrand looks like - that's where I found the appropriate trig substituion.

10. Sep 29, 2005 #9
    Thanks. However, can you spot my mistake when solving for the antiderivative of (4/ (4 + x2)2)? I must be doing something wrong, but I can't find what

(4/ (4 + x2)2)

Let x = 2 tan theta
    dx = 2 sec2theta dtheta

= (8 sec2theta / ((4 + 4tan2theta)2)

factor out a 2

= 4 + 4 tan2 theta / ((4 + 4tan2theta)2)
    = 1 / (4 + 4tan2theta)
    = tan inverse (tan theta)

11. Sep 29, 2005 #10

hotvette

Homework Helper

The part I don't follow is how you get from:

[tex]\frac {d \Theta}{(4 + 4 tan^2 \Theta)}[/tex]

to

[tex]tan^{-1} tan \Theta[/tex]

By the way, I had a slightly different integrand, with 16 in the numerator instead of 4, but frankly, I don't want to take the time to re-check it. Mine might be wrong, I don't know. My objective here is getting you going on the right path, not necessarily verifying the exact answer.

12. Sep 29, 2005 #11
    Alright, thanks. I'll just try it again.

13. Sep 29, 2005 #12
    I think there's a problem in this substitution.

[tex]\int \frac{8u^5}{(4+u^4)^2}du[/tex]

[tex]u=x^2[/tex]
    [tex]du=2xdx[/tex]

14. Sep 29, 2005 #13

hotvette

Homework Helper

No. The substitution is [itex]x=u^2[/itex]. You have it backwards.

[tex]\int \frac{4x^2}{(4+x^2)^2} \ dx[/tex]

is correct after the substitution.

15. Sep 29, 2005 #14

hotvette

Homework Helper

I just checked my work again. Here's what I get:

[tex]\int \frac{4x^2}{(4+x^2)^2} \ dx \ = \ \int \frac{4}{(4 + x^2)} \ dx \ - \int \frac{16}{(4 + x^2)^2} \ dx [/tex]

Btw, it might be prudent to reduce even further by factoring out the 4's to make it (1 + something^2) instead of (4 + x^2). May not be critical, though.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2005
  16. Oct 4, 2005 #15
    Yup, that's what I got after the substitution and working. Sorry for replying so late. I finally had a chance to do this question just now.

[tex] \int \frac{16}{(4 + x^2)^2} \ dx = \frac{32sec^{2}\Theta}{(4 + 4tan^{2}\Theta)^2} [/tex] d theta

where [tex] x = 2tan\Theta[/tex]
    [tex] \ dx = 2 sec^{2}\Theta[/tex] d theta

After all that, the result I get is [tex]\Theta + \frac{sin2\Theta}{2}[/tex], but for some reason, when I use my calculator to see if this answer is correct, it doesnt match up with the derivative values of the original equation 8u^5 / (4 + u^4)^2

17. Oct 4, 2005 #16

hotvette

Homework Helper

Don't forget the first integral.

18. Oct 4, 2005 #17
    Yup, I checked it with both the first and the second integral and no dice. The antiderivative for

[tex]\int \frac{4}{(4 + x^2)} \ dx[/tex]

is [tex]2tan^{-1}(x/2)[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?