Calculating Volume with the Shell Method for Enclosed Region

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the volume of a solid formed by rotating a region enclosed by given equations. The person is trying to solve it using the shell method but is struggling. They mention trying different techniques and getting different answers. They also express frustration with their professor and their accent. In the end, one person suggests using integration by parts and another clarifies that the shell method is being used.
prox9
I used to be able to do stuff like this when i was in high school but now I am in college and i can't do basic stuff like this. the problem this sub problem is from is

Find the volume of the solid formed by rotating the region enclosed by
y=e^{ x} + 5, \ y=0, \ x=0, \ x=0.1

Im trying to solve it with the shell method but i can't seem to get it right

I thought should be the integral from 0 to .1 of (xe^x)+(5x) and then times 2pi for the # in front of the integral.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Try times 2*0.1*Pi in front of the integral.

psh my bad the answer was .19067 and not .19037. I hate doing work online for a class where the professor wastes 40 minutes explaining the stupid theorem behind why the shell method works when she could have just put the formula up and i would have gotten it right away. Maybe I am just dumb but i got a 5 on the ap calculus exam and the highest grade in the class both semesters. Why do the professors waste so much time on pointless crap?

radou said:
Try times 2*0.1*Pi in front of the integral.

Why? (more characters)

prox9 said:
psh my bad the answer was .19067 and not .19037. I hate doing work online for a class where the professor wastes 40 minutes explaining the stupid theorem behind why the shell method works when she could have just put the formula up and i would have gotten it right away. Maybe I am just dumb but i got a 5 on the ap calculus exam and the highest grade in the class both semesters. Why do the professors waste so much time on pointless crap?
Yes, it's terrible when professors expect you to learn something instead of just memorizing formulas. Why that would involve thinking!

Maybe, it's the fact that she has a thick accent and every seat except the front center seats can't read the majority of the stuff she writes on the board since the classroom is big and flat and not sloped as it should be for a class that size. Though I probably shouldn't complain given that this is low math compared to what I'm going to have to do later on.

d_leet said:
Why? (more characters)

I assumed rotation around the y-axis. If it's rotation around the x-axis, then [tex]\pi \int_{0}^{0.1}(e^x+5)^2dx[/tex] is used.

prox9 said:
Maybe, it's the fact that she has a thick accent and every seat except the front center seats can't read the majority of the stuff she writes on the board since the classroom is big and flat and not sloped as it should be for a class that size. Though I probably shouldn't complain given that this is low math compared to what I'm going to have to do later on.
Then make sure you get a set in the front center! When I was a freshman, I had a teacher who talked about "delters" and "epsilons". I couldn't complain- it was in Boston and that's their language. When I was in graduate school I had a teacher from Cuba. A friend asked if she could copy the teacher's notes (he taught from several pages of notes!) but they were all in Spanish!

prox9 said:
Then make sure you get a seat in the front center! When I was a freshman, I had a teacher who talked about "delters" and "epserlons". I couldn't complain- it was in Boston and that's their language. When I was in graduate school I had a teacher from Cuba. A friend asked if she could copy the teacher's notes (he taught from several pages of notes!) but they were all in Spanish!

Now, I teach in sign language, my students are all deaf or hard of hearing and they have to put up with my "accent"!

Last edited by a moderator:
radou said:
I assumed rotation around the y-axis. If it's rotation around the x-axis, then [tex]\pi \int_{0}^{0.1}(e^x+5)^2dx[/tex] is used.

But the original post specifically said that the shell method was being used and not rotation about either axis.

intergration by parts is your friend, at least for the first bit. the second bit you can, as I am sure you know, do seperately

oh and i think the previous posters are missing the x infront of the exponential, or I am missing something you guys said

Last edited:
d_leet said:
But the original post specifically said that the shell method was being used and not rotation about either axis.

Sorry. Wasn't familiar with the term 'shell method'.

What is the antiderivative of x(e^x)+5x?

The antiderivative of x(e^x)+5x is (e^x)(x+4)+C, where C is a constant of integration.

How do you find the antiderivative of x(e^x)+5x?

To find the antiderivative of x(e^x)+5x, you can use the power rule for integration along with the chain rule. First, integrate x to get x^2/2, then multiply by e^x to get e^x(x^2/2). Next, integrate 5x to get 5x^2/2, and add it to the previous result. Finally, add a constant of integration, C, to get the complete antiderivative.

Can the antiderivative of x(e^x)+5x be simplified?

Yes, the antiderivative of x(e^x)+5x can be simplified to (e^x)(x+4)+C. However, it is common to leave it in its expanded form to make it easier to differentiate if needed.

Are there any other methods for finding the antiderivative of x(e^x)+5x?

Yes, there are other methods such as integration by parts and substitution that can be used to find the antiderivative of x(e^x)+5x. However, the power rule with the chain rule is the most straightforward and efficient method for this specific function.

Is there a specific domain for which the antiderivative of x(e^x)+5x is valid?

The antiderivative of x(e^x)+5x is valid for all real numbers.