1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Antiderivative problem

1. Jul 8, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm working on an infinite series problem and need to find the antiderivative of 1/((x(lnx)^3).

2. Relevant equations
    u=lnx

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know I have to use the substitution u=lnx, but I still can't figure out what the answer is. I know the antiderivative of 1/((x(lnx)) is ln(lnx) but the third power in my problem is giving me trouble. Any advice? Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 8, 2010 #2
    After the u-substitution, what is the integrand in terms of u now?

4. Jul 8, 2010 #3
    It would be 1/(x(u)^3)

5. Jul 8, 2010 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

When you make a substitution, replace everything. Here you still have a factor of x remaining. If u = ln(x), what is x in terms of u? Also, and this is related, did you replace dx by its appropriate expression involving du?

6. Jul 8, 2010 #5
    Ok, it should be the antiderivative of du/(u^3) but I still don't understand how to work thru the third power. If I solve for the antiderivative and end up with u^4 I would need (1/4) in front of u and that gets me to the wrong result.

7. Jul 8, 2010 #6

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Well, yes. You can't go from du/u^3 to u^4.

du/u^3 = u^(-3)du

8. Jul 8, 2010 #7
    The light finally came on, Thanks!!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook