1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Antiderivative question

1. Oct 22, 2006 #1
    antiderivative of e^-x

I get -e^-x

antiderivative of cos(mx) where m is a constant

I get [tex] \frac {1}{m} \sin x [/tex]

Please let me know if my attempts are correct. Thanks alot!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2006 #2

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you can calculate an ordinary derivative, you can always check whether the anti derivative you found is correct. For instance,

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}(-e^{-x}) = (-1)(-e^{-x})=e^{-x}[/tex]

So your antiderivative is correct. Actually, the most general antiderivative to e^-x is -e^-x + C, where C is a constant. Do you see why?

4. Oct 22, 2006 #3
    because the constant C changes the y value by a certain amount moving the functuion vertically on the graph?

This is what I know of the top of my head and am not quite sure how it relates to your question though.:confused:

5. Oct 22, 2006 #4

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

An antiderivative of a function f(x) is a function F(x) such that F'(x) = f(x). Is that your definition of antiderivative also? If it is, then suppose you found just such an antiderivative F(x). Then F(x) + C is also an anti derivative of f(x) because

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}(F(x)+C) = F'(x) + \frac{d}{dx}C = F'(x) + 0 =f(x)[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?