What is the antiderivative of (1-cos(t/6))^3 * sin(t/6)?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the antiderivative of (1-cos(t/6))^3 * sin(t/6) and various methods that have been tried, including u-substitution and trigonometric identities. One person suggests using integration by parts and using trigonometric formulas to simplify the problem. Another person points out a simpler method that was not previously considered.
cemar.
Hey guys!
So i have to find the antiderivative of
(1-cos(t/6))^3 * sin(t/6)
I have tried a bunch of different ways like by parts, trig substitution, identities, u-substitution then developing it, etc. but i just can't get it!
Can some one just tell me the proper method to use after that I am sure i can figure it out.
thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You must not have tried u substitution very hard. Try u=(1-cos(t/6)).

It should be doable. Or so says Wolfram's online integrator. I tried it out and managed to reduce it to a doable trigo form. You only need use integration by parts and then replace all those trig terms which are of power 2 and 3 with power 1 terms by means of some trigo formulae.

Defennnder said:
It should be doable. Or so says Wolfram's online integrator. I tried it out and managed to reduce it to a doable trigo form. You only need use integration by parts and then replace all those trig terms which are of power 2 and 3 with power 1 terms by means of some trigo formulae.

I don't see why you are working so hard on it. There's a much simpler way.

You're right, I just didn't see it before you posted.

What is an antiderivative trig function?

An antiderivative trig function is the inverse function of a trigonometric function. It is used to find the original function from its derivative.

What is the process for finding an antiderivative trig function?

The process for finding an antiderivative trig function involves using integration techniques, such as u-substitution or integration by parts, to find the original function from its derivative.

What are some common antiderivative trig functions?

Some common antiderivative trig functions include sine, cosine, tangent, cotangent, secant, and cosecant.

Why are antiderivative trig functions important in mathematics?

Antiderivative trig functions are important in mathematics because they allow us to solve problems involving rates of change and motion, and they are also used in many areas of science and engineering.

Are there any special rules or formulas for finding antiderivative trig functions?

Yes, there are several special rules and formulas for finding antiderivative trig functions, such as the trigonometric identities and the substitution rule for integration. These rules can make the process of finding antiderivatives easier and more efficient.