Can c_1 and c_2 Make F an Antiderivative of f?

In summary, the given problem is trying to prove or disprove the existence of constants c_1 and c_2 such that the function F, defined as the antiderivative of f, is an antiderivative of f for all values of x in the interval [0,2]. However, it is shown that F is not differentiable at x=1, which means that for any values of c_1 and c_2, F will not be an antiderivative of f. This is because f is not defined at x=1, and therefore, F cannot be an antiderivative of f for all values of x in the given interval.
daniel_i_l
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Let f:[0,2]->R be defined as:
if 0 =< x =< 1 then f(x) = 4(x^3)
if 1 < x =< 2 then x = x^2 + 2
Prove or disprove:
There exist c_1 , c_2 in R so that F:[0,2]-R defined as:
if 0 =< x =< 1 then f(x) = x^4 + c_1
if 1 < x =< 2 then x = (x^3)/3 + 2x + c_2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Now my question is, why don't any c_1,c_2 make F an AD of f?
Can any shed some light on this?
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
definition of antiderivative

let [tex]f(x)[/tex] be a function which is differentiable in an interval C then there exists a g such that [tex]g(x)=f^{'}(x)[/tex] then f is called the antiderivative of g.

ur function is not differentiable at [tex]x=1[/tex]

I suppose, except for any c_1,c_2, F is not differentiable at x=1.

Thanks for your answers! I just want to clear one thing up:
In this case for example, if f wasn't defined at x=1 then would F be an AD of f for all c_1,c_2?
Thanks.

Absolutely, if f only needs to be defined on [0,1)U(1,2].

Thanks for clearing that up!

yes that's right it just depends on ur domain of definition

1) What is an antiderivative?

An antiderivative is the inverse operation of a derivative and is used to find the original function from its derivative. It is denoted by ∫f(x)dx.

2) How do I find an antiderivative?

To find an antiderivative, you need to use the reverse rules of differentiation. For example, if the derivative of a function is 3x^2, the antiderivative would be x^3. You can also use integration techniques such as substitution or integration by parts.

3) Can I use any antiderivative to solve a problem?

No, the antiderivative of a function is not unique. There can be multiple antiderivatives that differ by a constant value. It is important to include the "+ C" when finding an antiderivative to account for this constant.

4) How are antiderivatives used in real-life applications?

Antiderivatives are used in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, economics, and chemistry. They are used to solve problems involving rates of change, optimization, and finding areas under curves.

5) What is the difference between an antiderivative and an indefinite integral?

An antiderivative is the inverse operation of a derivative and represents a general solution to a problem. An indefinite integral is a specific method for finding an antiderivative. Indefinite integrals are denoted by ∫f(x)dx without limits, while definite integrals have limits of integration.