1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Antiderivatives problem help

1. Jan 18, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A car going 70km/h comes to a stop in 6 seconds, assume that the deceleration is constant, find the distance traveled using a graph; find the distance traveled using antiderivatives.

3. The attempt at a solution

If the deceleration is constant, I would assume that the slope (derivative) of the graph would also be constant, hence the graph should look like a straight line with a negative slope.

Converting 70km/h into m/s, I get 19.4m/s. To calculate the distance, I simply took the area under the curve, which is a triangle:

(19.4 x 6)/2 = 58.2m

But when I'm using antiderivatives to solve this, I get a different answer...

S(6) = intergral v(t)dt = 19.4 (6) = 116.4m

It seems like this answer is twice as much as the one when calculated using a graph, and I'm sure the graph should be the right answer... could someone please tell me which part did I do wrong?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The velocity is not constant, but rather a function of time..

[tex]\int kt dt = \frac{1}{2} k t^2+C[/tex]
  4. Jan 18, 2008 #3
    Thanks for your correction Nate. I'm still a bit confused though, if velocity at time 0 = 19.4, and that at time 6 is 0, wouldn't C always equal to 0?
  5. Jan 18, 2008 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Not "always". For this particular problem, yes.
  6. Jan 19, 2008 #5
    Thanks HallsofIvy, I attempted to solve using the corrected equation, but I still can't seem to get the right answer. I believe k is a constant in this formula, but how do I determine it? At time 0, the whole 1/2(kt^2) is equal to 0, am I supposed to use the distance at a different time (eg. t = 1s) to solve for k?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?