Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Antigen-presenting cells

1. Jun 5, 2005 #1
    Antigen-presenting cells....

When antigen-presenting cells (eg - macrophages, dendritics, etc) encounter antigens, do they all migrate to the lymph nodes? What causes them to do this?

I know from sources I've read that dendrites do it, but do macrophages as well - or does the macrophage system rely on ones which are alread present in the nodes? Or do they just move around randomly in tissues, hoping to bump into a T / B cell? I cant seem to ifnd a detailed and clear site anywhere on the net! :confused:

Thanks in advance. :smile:
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 5, 2005 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Scientists are trying to find out what exactly the signal is, I think it is the same type of system that causes monocytes to move into tissues where they are needed: a signal cause them to become sticky for the site, so they have the time to enter.

Well, monocytes circulate in the blood until they move into tissue, where they differentiate into macrophages. A macrophage has antigen presenting abilities, but that is not its major function. Macrophages recognize particles opsonized by the immune system and they phagocytose those, I don't think they are recruited to the lymph nodes.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?