What is the antigradient of the given E-field?

• Thread starter Yitzach
  • Start date
  • Tags
    E-field
In summary, the conversation is about finding the potential using a given reference point in a problem involving a constant multiplier and a specific integration path. The individual attempted different solutions, but ultimately came up with the correct answer by integrating the components of the E-field separately and accounting for the integration constant.
Yitzach

Homework Statement

[tex]\vec{E}=k(y^2\hat{x}+(2xy+z^2)\hat{y}+2yz\hat{z})[/tex]
Here k is a constant with the appropriate units. Find the potential, using the origin as you reference point. Check our answer by computing [tex]\nabla V[/tex]. [Hint: You must select a specific path to integrate along. It doesn't matter what path you choose, since the answer is path-independent, but you simply cannot integrate unless you have a particular path in mind.]
No final position is provided.

I came up with a V-field that satisfies the gradient condition but the hint was moderately unhelpful. I would like help to figure out what happened so I can avoid the wrong and follow the right on the exam.

I am so glad that constant multipliers just constant multiply the answer after both integration and derivation.

Homework Equations

[tex]V(\vec{r})= -\int^{\vec{r}}_{\vec{0}}\vec{E}\cdot d\vec{l}[/tex]
[tex]\vec{E}= -\nabla V[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Attempt 1:
[tex]\vec{r}=<t,t,t> 0\leq t\leq1[/tex]
[tex]d\vec{l}=d\vec{r}=<dt,dt,dt>[/tex]
[tex]V=-\int^{1}_{0}<t^2,2t^2+t^2,2t^2>\cdot<dt,dt,dt>[/tex]
[tex]V=-\int^{1}_{0}(t^2+2t^2+t^2+2t^2)dt[/tex]
[tex]V=-\int^{1}_{0}(6t^2)dt[/tex]
[tex]V=-(2t^3)|^{1}_{0}[/tex]
[tex]V=-2[/tex]
That is not the answer. But does provide the potential difference between the origin and the point <1,1,1>

Attempt 2:
[tex]V(\vec{r}(t))= -\int^{\vec{r}(1)}_{\vec{r}(0)}\vec{E}\cdot d\vec{l}[/tex]
[tex]\vec{E}=<y^2,2xy+z^2,2yz>[/tex]
[tex]\vec{r}=<t,t,t>[/tex]
[tex]d\vec{l}=d\vec{r}=<dx,dy,dz>[/tex]
[tex]V(\vec{r}(t))= -\int^{\vec{r}(1)}_{\vec{r}(0)}<y^2,2xy+z^2,2yz>\cdot<dx,dy,dz>[/tex]
[tex]V(\vec{r}(t))= -\int^{\vec{r}(1)}_{\vec{r}(0)}y^2dx+(2xy+z^2)dy+2yzdz[/tex]
[tex]V(\vec{r}(t))= -(xy^2+xy^2+yz^2+yz^2)|^{\vec{r}(1)}_{\vec{r}(0)}[/tex]
[tex]V(\vec{r}(t))= -(1+1+1+1)= -4[/tex] That's not right, back up one line.
[tex]V(\vec{r}(t))= -(2xy^2+2yz^2)[/tex] This is almost right, it is off by a constant multiplier of 2.

[tex]-\nabla V=-\nabla(-2xy^2-2yz^2)=2y^2\hat{x}+(4xy+2z^2)\hat{y}+4xz\hat{z}[/tex]

[tex]V= -(xy^2+yz^2)k+c[/tex] This is my final answer

You may have noted that I dropped the constant k through out the entire attempt. That is why I am happy that the constant multiplier multiplies the answer on of integrals and derivatives by the same factor.
The question now is were did the two come from and how can it be avoided? Why did the book say pick a specific path when entering the path into both integrals provided a constant answer? Wouldn't that produce the potential difference between two specific points using and E-field instead of the V-field as apparently requested?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure why you're integrating from r(0) to r(1). The problem wants you to integrate from 0 to r, where r = <x,y,z>. Easiest way to accomplish this is to look at each direction of the E-field one at a time. Integrate that piece with respect to its direction. Then compare the three results to see what pieces overlap, and what's unique. So it all together, keeping in mind that overlaps should only be added once. So all that leaves is the integration constant, C. To find that, set the function equal to 0 at (0,0,0) and sort it out appropriately.

The r(0) to r(1) is because r(t)=<t,t,t> which will take me from the the origin to the point (1,1,1). I see the error I made. Will attempt the correct solution later.

Attempt 3:
[tex]-(y^2dx+(2xy+z^2)dy+2yzdz)[/tex]
[tex]\int(2xy+z^2)dy=xy^2+yz^2+g(x,z)[/tex]
[tex]\frac{d}{dx}(xy^2+yz^2+g(x,z))=y^2[/tex]
[tex]\frac{d}{dz}(xy^2+yz^2+h(z))=2yz[/tex]
[tex]V=k(-xy^2-yz^2)+C[/tex]
[tex]-\nabla V=y^2\hat{x}+(2xy+z^2)\hat{y}+2yz\hat{z}[/tex]
All is well.

1. What is the antigradient of E-field?

The antigradient of E-field is the direction of the electric field that opposes the direction of the electric field at a specific point. It is a vector quantity that is perpendicular to the direction of the electric field.

2. How is the antigradient of E-field calculated?

The antigradient of E-field is calculated using the negative gradient of the electric field. This means taking the partial derivatives of the electric field with respect to each coordinate direction and then multiplying by -1. The resulting vector is the antigradient of E-field.

3. What is the significance of the antigradient of E-field in electromagnetism?

The antigradient of E-field plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of electric fields and their interactions with charged particles. It helps to determine the direction and strength of the electric force on a charged particle at a specific point in space.

4. How does the antigradient of E-field relate to electric potential?

The antigradient of E-field is directly proportional to the negative gradient of electric potential. This means that the direction of the antigradient of E-field is opposite to the direction of the electric field lines, which point towards decreasing electric potential.

5. Can the antigradient of E-field be used to determine the direction of current flow?

Yes, the antigradient of E-field can be used to determine the direction of current flow. Since current is the flow of charged particles in a particular direction, the direction of the antigradient of E-field will indicate the direction of the force on the charged particles, which in turn determines the direction of current flow.