Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Antimatter annihilation.

1. Dec 8, 2008 #1
    Hi, I don't think I understand why antimatter annihilates when it touches matter, should I picture has it as if it was a wave that canceled an other one?

Or is it something else entirely?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2008 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The best answer is probably because it can!
    For two particles to be able to annihilate each other you have to be able to balance all the conserved quantities (charge, spin, momentum ) this is only possible if one of the particles is the anti-particle of the other.

4. Dec 8, 2008 #3
    Well while I'm here I might ask.

I read that 1 electron and 1 positron annihilate to make a gamma ray of 512 Mev, can you take a gamma rays of 512 Mev and make 1 electron and 1 positron?

5. Dec 8, 2008 #4

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You need to make a pair of gamma rays to balance the momentum - but yes you can collide two gamma rays and create an electron-positron pair.
    ps. An electron is 511 KeV ( or 0.511MeV )

6. Dec 8, 2008 #5

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Actually, gamma-gamma collision is not very likely yet (very small cross-section), and so far, we haven't produced any e-p pair that way.

Zz.

7. Dec 8, 2008 #6

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok, mere mortals can't but the universe can.

8. Dec 8, 2008 #7

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2015 Award

I'm not so sure that's true. There are what are called two-photon processes in e+e- collisions. What happens is that the electron and positron beams get near each other, and each beam feels an acceleration from the other, and radiates a photon: these photons can then interact and produce anything that couples to the photon: including an e+e- pairs. In a sense, you use the electrons to "carry the photons around" pre-collision.

So the process would be [tex]e^+ + e^- \rightarrow e^+ + e^- + \gamma + \gamma \rightarrow e^+ + e^- + e^+ + e^- [/tex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?