Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Antimatter Creation

1. Sep 12, 2017 #1
    Hello,
    I have read that Michio Kaku has made antimatter and photographed it when he was only a high schooler. I have read that the used Sodium-22 to produce positrons. How does that happen? I could not find some good sources of answers...
    Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2017 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Where? It is hard to tell what exactly the source said without seeing the source.

Sodium-22 undergoes beta+ decay, which means it emits positrons. You don't have to do anything, you just have to find a way to get enough sodium-22. You cannot really photograph these positrons, directly, but you can let them produce tracks in detectors (e. g. cloud chambers) and take a picture of these tracks.

4. Sep 12, 2017 #3

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Indeed, the most interesting question is, where I high schooler could get sodium-22? Nowadays the safety guidelines at highschools even under supervision of a teacher are such that it is almost impossible for the students to make interesting experiments (at least in Germany). I cannot imagine that it is allowed to handle even harmless portions of any radioactive material...:frown:

5. Sep 12, 2017 #4

Bandersnatch

Science Advisor

6. Sep 12, 2017 #5

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

LOL:biggrin:. When was this?

7. Sep 12, 2017 #6

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Born 1947, so around 1965 I guess.

8. Sep 12, 2017 #7
    He said he went to a local nuclear research company...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted