Antimatter Creation: Michio Kaku's High School Experiment

In summary, Michio Kaku was able to produce and photograph antimatter as a high school student using sodium-22, which undergoes beta+ decay to emit positrons. He was able to obtain the necessary materials and equipment, such as a cloud chamber and betatron, and was able to capture the tracks produced by the positrons. However, it is now much more difficult for high school students to conduct such experiments due to safety guidelines and regulations surrounding radioactive materials.
ISamson
Gold Member
Hello,
I have read that Michio Kaku has made antimatter and photographed it when he was only a high schooler. I have read that the used Sodium-22 to produce positrons. How does that happen? I could not find some good sources of answers...
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ivan Samsonov said:
I have read
Where? It is hard to tell what exactly the source said without seeing the source.

Sodium-22 undergoes beta+ decay, which means it emits positrons. You don't have to do anything, you just have to find a way to get enough sodium-22. You cannot really photograph these positrons, directly, but you can let them produce tracks in detectors (e. g. cloud chambers) and take a picture of these tracks.

Indeed, the most interesting question is, where I high schooler could get sodium-22? Nowadays the safety guidelines at high schools even under supervision of a teacher are such that it is almost impossible for the students to make interesting experiments (at least in Germany). I cannot imagine that it is allowed to handle even harmless portions of any radioactive material...:frown:

Likes ISamson
Born 1947, so around 1965 I guess.

vanhees71 said:
Indeed, the most interesting question is, where I high schooler could get sodium-22? Nowadays the safety guidelines at high schools even under supervision of a teacher are such that it is almost impossible for the students to make interesting experiments (at least in Germany). I cannot imagine that it is allowed to handle even harmless portions of any radioactive material...:frown:

He said he went to a local nuclear research company...

1. What is antimatter?

Antimatter is a type of matter that is made up of particles with the same mass as regular matter but with opposite charge. When matter and antimatter particles meet, they annihilate each other and release a large amount of energy.

2. How is antimatter created?

Antimatter can be created through high-energy collisions between particles, such as in particle accelerators. It can also be produced naturally in small amounts through radioactive decay or high-energy cosmic events.

3. What is the significance of Michio Kaku's high school experiment?

Michio Kaku's high school experiment involved creating positrons (the antiparticle of electrons) using a small accelerator. This experiment showed that antimatter can be created in a small-scale, low-cost setting, making it more accessible for research and potentially practical applications.

4. What are the potential uses of antimatter?

Antimatter has the potential to be used in advanced propulsion systems for space travel, as well as in medical imaging and cancer treatment. It could also potentially be used as a highly efficient energy source.

5. Are there any risks associated with antimatter creation?

There are some risks involved in creating and handling antimatter, as it can be highly volatile and release large amounts of energy if it comes into contact with regular matter. However, scientists have developed safety protocols and procedures to minimize these risks.