Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Antimatter in Universe

1. Jan 22, 2005 #1
    I'm told that most of the observable universe is made up of "normal" matter. How did physicists come to this conclusion? There is no difference between matter and antimatter when observed.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2005 #2
    This is the way I think and it might not be correct. The assignment of "matter" and "anti-matter" are arbitrary since we do not have a standard reference. We could simply call one of them "matter" and the other to be "anti-matter". This is similar in the situation to assign "left" and "right".

Best regards,
  4. Jan 23, 2005 #3
    We do, which is exactly why I'm puzzled by the claim that the observable universe is made up of one type, the one of which you and I are made. i.e. protons and electrons, as opposed to antiprotons and positrons.
  5. Jan 23, 2005 #4

Science Advisor

6. Jan 23, 2005 #5
    So it's just "chances are." I thought there was a way to detect antimatter (other than annihilation) that I was not aware of.
  7. Jan 23, 2005 #6

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

If there were large amounts of anti-matter in the universe, we would see enormous emissions of energy where they meet. Hellfire gave a link explaining that.
  8. Jan 26, 2005 #7

Gold Member

One could, but it is certainly sensible to name the kind of matter that makes up 99.99999% of what you obserb matter and the rest anti-matter. It saves a heckuvalot of typing.
  9. Jan 26, 2005 #8

Gold Member

Because we would expect to see fireworks at a matter-anti-matter horizon which we don't see. A mixed matter-anti-matter system is unstable.
  10. Feb 4, 2005 #9

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Observing at a distance, I can't think of any way of detecting antimatter (other than annihilation), except (possibly) rather indirectly. Up close & personal, antimatter particles reveal their 'true colours' in several ways other than by annihilation (e.g. estimates of charge and mass -> clean distinctions); however, this isn't much help, as all it does is tell you there is little anti-matter in cosmic rays (and none, to speak of, where spacecraft have ventured).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?