Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Antimatter Universe

1. Jun 23, 2011 #1
    Hello,
    Just having a few thoughts and wondered if anyone can answer:
    Would an antimatter Universe be expected to follow the same physical laws as our own matter Universe, in a nutshell: inflation, then expansion and unltimately ending in a heat death?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 23, 2011 #2

bcrowell

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There are two different questions there.

One is whether the physical laws would be the same: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C-symmetry

The other is whether the boundary conditions (i.e., basically the initial conditions) of the universe would be the same. I don't think we have any physical principles that allow us to say anything about the boundary conditions of the universe.

BTW, we don't know if inflation really happened. It's a theory that's successful in some ways and a failure in others.

4. Jun 24, 2011 #3

Chalnoth

Science Advisor

Well, it's not a failure in any observational regard, as near as I can tell. Some people don't like some of the theoretical aspects of it, but that is a different story.

5. Jun 24, 2011 #4

bcrowell

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I agree.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook