What Are Antiparticles and Their Role in the Universe?

In summary: In fact, if there were enough of it, you'd see it as a bright light. There are no known common effects in normal life caused by antimatter; it just sort of annihilates everything it comes into contact with.
Gale
I've been reading a lot lately, stephen hawkings mostly, a few others as well, but its difficult. The more things i read on the same subjects the better i understand the fundamental ideas, but its still difficult. One thing i have trouble grasping is anti particles. I've never been introduced to them really except in passing when my physics teacher's rambling a little, so i really don't know much of what to think of them. Could anyone just give a basic introduction to what they are, how we know they exist, or anything that helps to understand them or their role in our universe? that be great!

~abigale~

Physics news on Phys.org
Antimatter particles are just like normal particles in most ways. The most marked difference is that they have opposite electrical charge. They have the same masses, however, and generally behave the same way the normal particle behaves -- they undergo the same sorts of decay mechanisms, for example.

They also annihilate normal matter particles. When an electron and an anti-electron (a positron) collide, they both disappear in a flash of gamma rays. Their entire rest-masses are converted directly into high-energy radiation.

Antimatter occurs all over. When cosmic rays hit the atmosphere, they can stimulate the production of pairs of particles, one of which is antimatter. Antimatter particles occur all the time in particle accelerators. We know antimatter exists because we can see it with the detectors in particle physics experiments.

The early universe was full of both matter and antimatter particles in nearly equal amounts. There happened to be about a billion and one matter particles for every billion antimatter particles, so the universe wound up a slight excess of matter that has since turned into galaxies and people.

- Warren

can we see antimatter? like, suppose enough particles came together to form a big thing the size of a basketball, would we be able to see that? is it possible for that even to happen? and are there any common effects witnessed in normal life caused by them?

It's possible, in principle, to have a big hunk of antimatter the size of a baseball. It'd be very difficult to work with though, because it would annihilate anything it touched. You'd have to keep it safely inside an evacuated magnetic confinement chamber. It is beyond our current technology to either create or control such a hunk of antimatter, but it is possible, in principle.

You can "see" antimatter quite easily by using a photographic plate and a magnet, preferably up in a balloon in the upper atmosphere. Cosmic rays zip across the photographic plate; some are electrons, for example, and others are anti-electrons. The magnet makes the electrons bend one way, and the anti-electrons the other. You can measure the radius of curvature to determine the energies of the particles, and, with a little deductive reasoning, the masses.

- Warren

Gale17 said:
like, suppose enough particles came together to form a big thing the size of a basketball, would we be able to see that?
Yes, antimatter would look just like ordinary matter.

1. What are antiparticles?

Antiparticles are particles that have the same mass as their corresponding particles, but opposite charge. For example, the antiparticle of an electron is a positron, which has the same mass as an electron but a positive charge.

2. How are antiparticles created?

Antiparticles can be created through high-energy collisions or decays of particles. They can also be created naturally through certain radioactive decay processes.

3. What happens when antiparticles come into contact with particles?

When antiparticles come into contact with particles, they annihilate each other and release energy in the form of photons. This process is known as particle-antiparticle annihilation.

4. What is the significance of antiparticles in our universe?

Antiparticles play an important role in our understanding of the fundamental laws of physics. They also have practical applications in fields such as medical imaging and cancer treatment.

5. Can antiparticles be used as a source of energy?

While antiparticle annihilation does release a large amount of energy, it is not currently a viable source of energy due to the difficulty in producing and controlling antiparticles. However, research is being conducted to find ways to harness this energy in the future.