Antisymmetry & Partial Orderings - H&J Ch.2 Section 5 | Peter's Help

In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of antisymmetric relations and partial orderings. The question is raised about the difference between antisymmetry and reflexivity, and examples of antisymmetric relations are discussed. The need for a more rigorous understanding of these concepts is emphasized.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading "Introduction to Set Theory" (Third Edition, Revised and Expanded) by Karel Hrbacek and Thomas Jech (H&J) ... ...

I am currently focused on Chapter 2: Relations, Functions and Orderings; and, in particular on Section 5: Orderings

I need some help with H&J's depiction of antisymmetric relations and partial orderings ...The introduction to H&J's section on antisymmetric relations and partial orderings reads as follows:View attachment 7599In the above text from H&J we read the following:

" ... ... A binary relation \(\displaystyle R\) in \(\displaystyle A\) is antisymmetric if for all \(\displaystyle a, b \in A\), \(\displaystyle aRb\) and \(\displaystyle bRa\) imply \(\displaystyle a = b\) ... "Now since \(\displaystyle a = b\) in the above instance \(\displaystyle aRb\) and \(\displaystyle bRa\) can be expressed as \(\displaystyle aRa\) (or \(\displaystyle bRb\) ...) ... so isn't antisymmetry essentially reflexivity ...

Can someone explain to me exactly what the essential difference between antisymmetry and reflexivity ... and, indeed why we don't define partial orderings simply as relations that are reflexive and transitive ... Help will be appreciated ...

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
Peter said:
In the above text from H&J we read the following:

" ... ... A binary relation \(\displaystyle R\) in \(\displaystyle A\) is antisymmetric if for all \(\displaystyle a, b \in A\), \(\displaystyle aRb\) and \(\displaystyle bRa\) imply \(\displaystyle a = b\) ... "Now since \(\displaystyle a = b\) in the above instance \(\displaystyle aRb\) and \(\displaystyle bRa\) can be expressed as \(\displaystyle aRa\) (or \(\displaystyle bRb\) ...) ... so isn't antisymmetry essentially reflexivity
I think you should think about this more rigorously. The definition of antisymmetry does not say $a=b$ (and for which $a$ and $b$?). If you think there is an equivalent, simpler statement of antisymmetry, try to write it precisely and then prove that it is equivalent to the original definition. Considering examples of relations that are and are not antisymmetric also helps.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
I think you should think about this more rigorously. The definition of antisymmetry does not say $a=b$ (and for which $a$ and $b$?). If you think there is an equivalent, simpler statement of antisymmetry, try to write it precisely and then prove that it is equivalent to the original definition. Considering examples of relations that are and are not antisymmetric also helps.
Hi Evgeny,

Yes I was being somewhat informal ...

I should have said ... since aRb and bRa imply a = b ... then we can essentially write aRa or bRb ... that is the condition aRb and bRa gives us reflexivity ... hmm ... yes ... see your point ... what exactly am i saying ...

Have to rethink my question ...

By the way ... can you think of a good example of an antisymmetric relation ...?

Peter

Last edited:
Peter said:
can you think of a good example of an antisymmetric relation ...?
Both non-strict and strict inequalities on numbers are antisymmetric, as are the divisibility relation on integers and the empty relation. Another one is \(\displaystyle \begin{cases}x<y,&x\ge0,y\ge0\\x\le y,&\text{otherwise}\end{cases}\) on real numbers.

1. What is antisymmetry in the context of partial orderings?

Antisymmetry is a property of partial orderings where for any two elements x and y, if x is less than or equal to y and y is less than or equal to x, then x and y must be equal.

2. How is antisymmetry different from symmetry?

In symmetry, if x is related to y, then y is also related to x. However, in antisymmetry, if x is related to y and y is related to x, then x and y must be equal. In other words, symmetry allows for the possibility of x and y being different, while antisymmetry does not.

3. What is a partial ordering?

A partial ordering is a mathematical concept where a set of elements is partially ordered by a relation that is reflexive, transitive, and antisymmetric. This relation is often denoted by the "less than or equal to" symbol (≤) and is used to compare elements in the set.

4. How do you determine if a relation is a partial ordering?

To determine if a relation is a partial ordering, you must check if it is reflexive, transitive, and antisymmetric. If it meets all three criteria, then it is a partial ordering. If it fails to meet any of the criteria, then it is not a partial ordering.

5. How are partial orderings used in real-world applications?

Partial orderings are commonly used in decision-making processes, such as ranking preferences or priorities. They are also used in computer science, particularly in database design and sorting algorithms. Additionally, partial orderings have applications in economics, game theory, and social sciences.