Anxiety-inducing solutions

• Thread starter snatchingthepi
  • Start date
In summary, you should number your steps, give a brief summary of what you are doing in each step, and write down your results.
snatchingthepi
So I'm now a third year at a Canadian university in a theoretical physics programme. I have a simple question. How do you all deal with answering assignment questions without being given what the final answer is?

Let me clarify.

Say you have a question that asks you to compute the moment of inertia of some odd extended body given certain parameters (like I recently did). I set-up the situation, looked through my notes for the relevant equations, did some math, and got an answer that by all means is completely reasonable and had the correct units.

My problem is that until I hand-in the assignment and get it marked and returned, I have NO IDEA if my work is correct or not, and this bothers the hell out of me. I may very simply be spoiled. The first and second year "majors" courses at my institution were all taught by the same two/three professors who when giving assignment questions would put a little blurb at the bottom of the assignment page giving the final answer to each question. Not a solution, no work of any kind would be shown, just the final answer, like [tex]I_{CM} = 0.000956 \left[kgm^2\right][/tex]

What do you all do? I may just be a little of an anxious perfectionist, but I took great comfort in having the final answer as a resource.

Physics news on Phys.org
You just have to get used to it, I'm afraid.

It's great to have a final solution on hand so that you can check your work. But remember, the point of doing these exercises is to train you for situations where the final answer is not known. At the first or second year level, it shouldn't be too difficult to find the answer to a given problem somewhere. You may not find your exact problem and its solution, but these days it's pretty easy to find something similar and this can tell you whether you're on the right track. Once you go beyond that though, once the problems become more involved, it gets harder to find solutions. Hopefully though, you grow confident enough in your foundational skills that you can develop confidence in your response.

Likes snatchingthepi
Extremely helpful response.

Other than the "like" button is there any sort of reputation or star or w/e system for praise/criticism of comments? I'm new here.

Well, you're theoretical physics, so maybe this would be a good time to learn how to construct mathematical proofs?

Also, another piece of advice for working large problems: Since I'm a bit neurotic about notebooks and have a problem with sloppy handwriting, I've found that numbering my steps and giving a brief statement of what I'm doing in that step can be extremely helpful when I get stuck.

I can understand your anxiety when it comes to solving assignment questions without being given the final answer. It can be frustrating to not know if your work is correct or not until it is marked and returned. However, this is a common experience in the field of theoretical physics and is actually beneficial for your growth as a scientist.

Firstly, it is important to remember that in real-life research scenarios, you will not always have the luxury of being given the final answer to a problem. This is why it is important to develop your problem-solving skills and critical thinking abilities. By not having the final answer, you are forced to think through the problem and come up with a solution on your own. This will help you develop your problem-solving skills and make you a more independent and confident researcher.

Additionally, not knowing the final answer can also lead to more creativity and innovation in your approach to problem-solving. When you are given the final answer, it can limit your thinking and make you follow a specific approach. However, when you are not given the final answer, you are free to explore different methods and come up with unique solutions.

I understand that it can be challenging to not have the final answer as a resource, especially if you are used to having it in your previous courses. In such cases, I would suggest seeking help from your peers or professors. Discussing the problem with others can help you gain new perspectives and insights, and you may even come up with a more efficient solution together.

Overall, while it may be anxiety-inducing at first, not having the final answer can actually be beneficial for your growth as a scientist. Embrace the challenge and use it as an opportunity to enhance your problem-solving skills and critical thinking abilities. With practice and experience, you will become more confident in your abilities to solve problems without the final answer.

What is anxiety-inducing solutions?

Anxiety-inducing solutions refer to any strategies, methods, or remedies that may cause feelings of distress, fear, or unease in individuals who are seeking to address their anxiety.

Why would someone use anxiety-inducing solutions?

Some individuals may use anxiety-inducing solutions as a means of self-treatment for their anxiety, while others may be prescribed these solutions by a healthcare professional. In some cases, these solutions may be seen as a last resort for individuals who have not found relief from other treatments.

What are some examples of anxiety-inducing solutions?

Examples of anxiety-inducing solutions may include exposure therapy, cognitive-behavioral therapy, medication, or other techniques that may trigger feelings of anxiety in individuals as they work through their fears and anxieties.

Are anxiety-inducing solutions effective?

The effectiveness of anxiety-inducing solutions may vary depending on the individual and the severity of their anxiety. While these solutions may be beneficial for some individuals, they may not work for everyone. It is important to consult with a healthcare professional before trying any anxiety-inducing solutions.

What are the potential risks of using anxiety-inducing solutions?

The potential risks of using anxiety-inducing solutions include exacerbating existing anxiety symptoms, triggering new anxieties, or causing additional distress. It is crucial to carefully consider the potential risks and benefits and to consult with a healthcare professional before using any anxiety-inducing solutions.