Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Any Actuaries Here?

1. Sep 5, 2004 #1
    I was thinking of working towards passing my first exam. Any thought on the profession, maybe something I don't now about it.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2004 #2
    hello, adam.

I did a program in actuarial science. It's difficult for me...not that the math is difficult, but that I lost interest in it. To me, actuary is about some routine computations and a bunch of numbers. There is not much excitement beyond that...

Of course that's my view only, and I don't mean to discourage you. And in fact some people do like actuarial science. But I think the most important thing one should have in becoming an actuary is "faith". From what I know, actuaries have to work long hours and most of the beginning actuaries have to study on their own for their exams besides their work. If you have no faith, you simply cannot hold on...

Anyway, that's just my opinion. Good luck to you!

4. Sep 6, 2004 #3

bfd

Hi I'm actually working towards the first exam myself. From what many have told me in the profession and what I've read the profession is VERY lucrative. Not only that, the field is voted as the 2nd best job in the United States in according to the 2002 Jobs Rated Almanac. Other people are also talking about the subject in the On Advanced Math Subjects... column in general math.

5. Nov 7, 2006 #4
    My husband is an actuary. The job is very lucrative. He doesn't have the crazy hours of a doctor, but is paid up in that range. If you stick it out, the rewards will be worth it. I would describe him as more of an effective problem solver than a "number cruncher". You have to be disciplined enough to study, and realize there is light at the end of the tunnel. You also have to be able to communicate very well. It is a job for people who are very GOOD at math and communication.

6. Nov 7, 2006 #5
    I wrote the first exam and got a 2/10. The second time i studied and passed. It's not that bad, they just make sure you have no time to think on the exams. As for the job itself, I have no idea.

M

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?