Any benefit in double majoring

• Programs
  • Thread starter brtgreen
  • Start date
I initially planned to double major in math and computer science, but in order to do that I'd have to spend an extra year at college. My main interest is definitely in computer science. I either want to go to graduate school or get a job as a software engineer. Would double majoring in math and computer science be beneficial or a waste of a year? Well, I know it won't exactly be a "waste" but would it look better to prospective employers and grad schools?

Answers and Replies

Have you ever thought of Computer Engineering? Some schools have a software option.

But, to adress your post; lots of people do a double major in math & CS, so at least you're not alone.

If you are very interested in math, by all means stay an extra year and do the double major. But if you are going to be pursuing a computer industry career, I don't think having a double major in math will change things one way or the other.

fss
I wouldn't spend another year getting a peripheral major if I knew what I wanted to do.

I think an extra year for double degree is not too long, considering some people have to do 2 years extra...

Anyway if you decide to do only one, its more practical to do it in Computer Science and then minor in maths.