Are There Any Biostatisticians in this Physics Forum?

• Thread starter thechicgeek
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation on the physics forum includes the poster introducing themselves and mentioning their enrollment in a biostats class. They express interest in finding professional biostatisticians on the forum and mention their excitement for chi-squares. Other users offer their experiences with biostats and assure the poster that the forum is helpful for asking questions. The conversation ends with a playful exchange about not asking about "gamma frailty models."
thechicgeek
Hello physics forum! This is my first post here. I am currently enrolled in a biostats class and I don't know how this forum feels about offering help when someone is stuck, but I will probably be in that position soon! lol
So are there any biostatisticians around? Hopefully I won't need to call on anyone for advice, but will be able to offer the helpful hints to others! I would honestly just be interested to see if there are any professional biostat pros around here just for fun!
Until then...I'll just think positive thoughts...bring on the statistics! I think I'm most excited about chi-squares! They just sound pleasant...and if they aren't PLEASE don't tell me! lol
*Create a good day*
-Chicg33k

Physics news on Phys.org

I'm thinking that the placement of this post might be wrong! Doh! sorryyy

I've taken a, apparently, phd level course on survival analysis which was full of biostats post docs. Does that count? :)

I would say that definitely counts! ;)

This forum is very helpful so feel free to ask questions, not sure how specialized people are in biostats but we'll see. As long as you don't ask about gamma frailty models :)

haha I don't see myself asking about "gamma frailty models" in the near future!

1. What is a biostatistician?

A biostatistician is a scientist who applies statistical methods to biological and health-related data. They use mathematical and computational tools to analyze data, make predictions, and identify patterns and trends in biological processes or health outcomes.

2. What kind of education and training do biostatisticians have?

Most biostatisticians have a graduate degree in statistics, biostatistics, or a related field such as epidemiology or public health. They also typically have training in biology, genetics, or other life sciences. Many biostatisticians also have experience with programming languages and software used for statistical analysis.

3. What types of research do biostatisticians work on?

Biostatisticians can work on a wide range of research projects, including clinical trials, observational studies, public health studies, and genomics research. They may also collaborate with other scientists to design studies, analyze data, and interpret results.

4. What skills are important for a biostatistician to have?

A biostatistician should have a strong understanding of statistical methods and data analysis techniques. They should also have strong problem-solving and critical thinking skills, as well as excellent communication and teamwork abilities. Attention to detail and the ability to work with large datasets are also important.

5. What is the job outlook for biostatisticians?

The demand for biostatisticians is growing, as advancements in technology and data collection have led to an increase in the amount of biological and health-related data available. Biostatisticians can work in a variety of industries, including healthcare, pharmaceuticals, and government agencies. The job outlook for biostatisticians is expected to continue to be strong in the coming years.