Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Any Bob Dylan fans here?

1. Oct 13, 2016 #1

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I have to say I'm a really big fan. I'm very glad he finally won the Nobel prize for literature. Very well deserved I'd say.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2016 #2

Borg

Gold Member

Not a big fan but that really took me by surprise when I saw it today.

4. Oct 13, 2016 #3

StatGuy2000

Education Advisor

I wonder if this is the first instance in history of someone who has won the Nobel Prize in Literature and won Grammy Awards (for Best Music), an Academy Award, and a Golden Globe Award.

Not to mention that Dylan is in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and has been awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom.

This is awesome news. Dylan is a legend in music!

Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
  5. Oct 13, 2016 #4

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I was really amazed and even shocked when I heard, but the more I think about it, the more sense it makes. Especially when you consider the impact of his words and music.

He's certainly unique among modern singer-songwriters in that he must have written 20-30 songs that are lyrically on a different plane from everyone else. "Only a Hobo" or "Blind Willie McTell",for example, were outtakes! They didn't even make it onto their respective albums. For most other songwriters, these would have been lyrically by far the best songs they'd ever written.

That said, he released a lot of poor material in my view. But, if you look at his best work, there's never been another songwriter anywhere near him.

6. Oct 13, 2016 #5

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Makes me proud to be old and have grown up with his tunes. :approve:

7. Oct 13, 2016 #6

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I looked at the calendar to see what day it was, I thought it was April Fools Day. When I actually thought about the lyrics without any music, I figured, not a bad choice, but I had bet $10 on Joyce Carol Oates (yes, I am in a pool for the Nobel prizes and it is growing every year because no one in the group of us ever gets one right).

8. Oct 13, 2016 #7

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Hurricane.

His was just icky old dude hippy music, before I heard that song.

Bam!

Sometimes, music has to hit you in the chest.

9. Oct 13, 2016 #8

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I've been a fan since his first album back in the early 60s, and still have four or five of those LPs.

Some of his recent songs I don't care for -- I can't get past how awful his singing voice is now (not that he was ever a great singer).

10. Oct 13, 2016 #9

Astronuc

His lyrics are great, the tunes are great, but I prefer someone else sing. :biggrin:

Even Dylan concedes that Hendrix's version of "All Along the Watchtower" is superior to his own rendition.

11. Oct 13, 2016 #10

Mark44

One of Hendrix's best, IMO.

Another one like this is the cover by of "You're gonna make me lonesome when you go," by Shawn Colvin - http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q="you're+gonna+make+me+lonesome+when+you+go"+cover&view=detail&mid=A4903421FB4810E78AD0A4903421FB4810E78AD0&FORM=VIRE
    Beautiful voice and excellent guitar work on top of the amazing Dylan lyrics,

12. Oct 13, 2016 #11
    ''Things have changed'' is the only song I like, but what a song...:peace:

13. Oct 14, 2016 #12

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

i think it was a calculated move to sing the songs so badly that every other good singer would think they could do better and cover them. joan baez doing daddy you're just on my mind, jimmy doing watchtower, the birds doing mr tambourine man, peter paul and mary doing blowing in the wind, nina simone on just like a woman, judy collins doing masters of war,............ brilliant really.

And just my opinion, but his awful singing voice seems a bit of a pose, since on Nashville Skyline he shows he can sound better if he wants to, or at least as good as Johnny Cash, e.g.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
  14. Oct 14, 2016 #13
    Yeah, I think he's overstayed his welcome on stage for about the past 20 years but he deserves his honors. They just seem to keep on piling up here in recent years.

Here's one of my favorite performances by him (and George Harrison and Leon Russell):

They used to have the actual live performance on youtube but I can't find it

15. Oct 14, 2016 #14

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

IMO it's his voice that makes the tunes great.

16. Oct 14, 2016 #15

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Exactly! It happens only very rarely that somebody can sing a Dylan song better than Dylan, no matter how perfect his/her voice is!

17. Oct 14, 2016 #16

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

actually i have to sort of agree. i think dylan's version of watchtower is much better sung than hendrix's, (jimmy also has a terrible voice), but hendrix does the guitar part so powerfully it makes the experience more throbbing.

18. Oct 14, 2016 #17

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Actually, all along the watchtower is one of the only songs I prefer the cover version. To make you feel my love by Adele is another really good cover.

19. Oct 14, 2016 #18

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Somehow this is making me feel the need to go back for some extended re-listening. I suspect the whole world will do the same this week. Having given up my entire vinyl, cassette, dvd and cd collection (dating to about 1968) when I moved out of my house in 2014, all my comments here are based purely on auditory memory, some from decades ago. Thanks for the memories.

20. Oct 14, 2016 #19
    I always wished I could write a Dylan style song. The lyrics he has written are incredible. I always play and sing one or two Dylan tunes a week when I practice guitar or piano.

"Johnny in the basement mixing up the medicine I'm on the pavement talking bout the government a man in a trench coat badge out laid off says he's got a bad cough wants to get paid off"
    How would you ever come up with a line like that!...lol Even the title to the song is cool...Subterranean Homesick Blues

I think it is hard to be a musician and not be influenced to some degree by Dylan. I wish him the best. I think he is just a little older than I am, so we both grew up at the same time. It's been a good ride so far.

Cheers,

Billy

21. Oct 15, 2016 #20

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

and "the pump don't work cause the vandals took the handle". this line sent my roommate into laughing fits.

i always marveled at "he puts his cigar out in your face just for kicks, his bedroom window is made out of bricks, the national guard stands around the door, ahhhww... I ain't gonna work on maggie's farm no more."

my more literate buddy was moved by " the evening's empire has returned into sand, vanished from my hand,..."

or (joan baez's version) : " it might be the color of the sun cut flat, or maybe the cross roads i'm standing at, or maybe its the weather or something like that, but daddy you're just on my mind".

I confess I especially like the less meaningful ones, like Country Pie; " strawberry raspberry lemon and lime, what do i care, blueberry cherry apple pumpkin and plum, call me for dinner honey, i'll be there."

gee whiz, i know this stuff better than the statement of the grothendieck riemann roch theorem. maybe i should have brought my guitar to class.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted