1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Any Brazilian Experience?

1. Nov 9, 2014 #1
    Hey. This question is kinda specific, so I will not be surprised if it is not answered to at all, but any input is appreciated.
    I'm currently struggling with the possibility of studying Physics as an undergraduate here, at Brazil (Free, top 100 only Physics university, but the technology and research of a subdeveloped country, where my family and girlfriend is) or at the US (Really expensive, if I go to a top school (assuming I'm able too), hugely better technology and research, but a really big step too, to live one America away of friends, family and girlfriend)
    That's why I'm looking for anyone who have had any contact with Brazilian Physics, and could tell me if, if I study here (at USP University in Sao Paulo), I may be able to get in a top grad program in the US (which I plan to do nevertheless). People who have left their country/family/relationships to study could possibly give me some cool info too
    Any information would be appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2014 #2
    I have had some personal correspondence with Prof A.K.T. Assis in the Physics Department at Unicamp, and I'm very interested in his work. He is definitely not in the main stream, but rather is bucking the main stream on many things, but I think that makes it very interesting.

I have also had some correspondence with people in Mechanical Engineering there, and I think that they are doing useful and important work.

If you know the language (Portuguese), I would suggest that this is a golden opportunity to see something really different.

4. Nov 9, 2014 #3

e.bar.goum

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

There's some pretty great nuclear physics happening in Brazil!

Getting into a good grad school is partially where you go, sure, but there are many other more important things.

5. Nov 10, 2014 #4
    So the best Physics University in Brazil, provided I get some good research experience, GRE and Letters may give me a good chance in a good Grad School?
    Thank you for the reply! :)

6. Nov 10, 2014 #5
    Sorry, didn't see your reply! Unicamp is not my first choice here, but I've heard really good things about it (I just would prefer to stay in Sao Paulo). But thanks for the indication anyway!
    I indeed know the language, I'm Brazilian (sorry I didn't specify this at first), I'm just wondering if I should go overseas, to the US, to study Undergrad (as I plan to take Grad School there anyway). My golden dream would be to research in a US University, but knowing that this probably won't be the case, I think I would be more successful there (as Physicists here are WAY undervalued). Anyway, I could come back home if things don't work out.
    Anyway, I digress. My main doubt is: Would you, in my position (and I mean anyone reading this), abandon your home, friends and girlfriend to pursue Undergrad in the US?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook