Is Studying Physics in Brazil or the US the Right Choice for Me?

In summary, if you are considering studying Physics in Brazil, Unicamp may be a good option. The professors there are not in the mainstream, and the research is interesting. Mechanical Engineering at Unicamp is also of interest.
Brunnun
Hey. This question is kinda specific, so I will not be surprised if it is not answered to at all, but any input is appreciated.
I'm currently struggling with the possibility of studying Physics as an undergraduate here, at Brazil (Free, top 100 only Physics university, but the technology and research of a subdeveloped country, where my family and girlfriend is) or at the US (Really expensive, if I go to a top school (assuming I'm able too), hugely better technology and research, but a really big step too, to live one America away of friends, family and girlfriend)
That's why I'm looking for anyone who have had any contact with Brazilian Physics, and could tell me if, if I study here (at USP University in Sao Paulo), I may be able to get in a top grad program in the US (which I plan to do nevertheless). People who have left their country/family/relationships to study could possibly give me some cool info too
Any information would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
I have had some personal correspondence with Prof A.K.T. Assis in the Physics Department at Unicamp, and I'm very interested in his work. He is definitely not in the main stream, but rather is bucking the main stream on many things, but I think that makes it very interesting.

I have also had some correspondence with people in Mechanical Engineering there, and I think that they are doing useful and important work.

If you know the language (Portuguese), I would suggest that this is a golden opportunity to see something really different.

There's some pretty great nuclear physics happening in Brazil!

Getting into a good grad school is partially where you go, sure, but there are many other more important things.

So the best Physics University in Brazil, provided I get some good research experience, GRE and Letters may give me a good chance in a good Grad School?
Thank you for the reply! :)

Dr.D said:
I have had some personal correspondence with Prof A.K.T. Assis in the Physics Department at Unicamp, and I'm very interested in his work. He is definitely not in the main stream, but rather is bucking the main stream on many things, but I think that makes it very interesting.

I have also had some correspondence with people in Mechanical Engineering there, and I think that they are doing useful and important work.

If you know the language (Portuguese), I would suggest that this is a golden opportunity to see something really different.

Sorry, didn't see your reply! Unicamp is not my first choice here, but I've heard really good things about it (I just would prefer to stay in Sao Paulo). But thanks for the indication anyway!
I indeed know the language, I'm Brazilian (sorry I didn't specify this at first), I'm just wondering if I should go overseas, to the US, to study Undergrad (as I plan to take Grad School there anyway). My golden dream would be to research in a US University, but knowing that this probably won't be the case, I think I would be more successful there (as Physicists here are WAY undervalued). Anyway, I could come back home if things don't work out.
Anyway, I digress. My main doubt is: Would you, in my position (and I mean anyone reading this), abandon your home, friends and girlfriend to pursue Undergrad in the US?

1. What is the climate like in Brazil?

Brazil has a diverse climate due to its large size. The northern region has a year-round tropical climate, while the southern region has a subtropical climate with distinct seasons. The coastal areas generally have a hot and humid climate, while the inland areas tend to be drier and more temperate.

2. What are some traditional Brazilian foods?

Some traditional Brazilian foods include feijoada (a stew of black beans and meat), churrasco (barbecue), pão de queijo (cheese bread), and coxinha (a fried dough filled with chicken). Brazilian cuisine is heavily influenced by indigenous, African, and European cultures.

3. Is it safe to travel to Brazil?

As with any country, there are certain safety precautions that should be taken when traveling to Brazil. It is recommended to stay in well-populated areas, avoid walking alone at night, and be aware of pickpocketing in crowded areas. It is also important to research any potential health risks and get necessary vaccinations before traveling.

4. What is the official language of Brazil?

The official language of Brazil is Portuguese. However, many Brazilians also speak English, especially in tourist areas. It can be helpful to learn some basic Portuguese phrases before traveling to Brazil.

5. What are some popular tourist attractions in Brazil?

Brazil is home to many popular tourist destinations, including the Amazon rainforest, Rio de Janeiro's beaches and famous landmarks such as Christ the Redeemer and Sugarloaf Mountain, and the colonial town of Salvador da Bahia. Other popular activities include visiting waterfalls, hiking, and exploring the country's vibrant culture and history.