1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Any chemical engineers here?

1. Jan 31, 2009 #1

Gold Member

Hey. Ive been trying to find out as much as i can about careers in chemical and process engineering by searching the forums, however it seems that most engineers who post here tend to be mechanical engineers. Are there many people here who are chemical engineers, or who have worked in the chemicals industry?

I dont have any specific questions really, but id just like to get a general idea where people with chem. eng. degrees tend to end up. If you have a few moments to spare, it would be great if you could perhaps share a little about what industry you work in and what your day to day duties include. If you dont mind, perhaps even share what your starting/current salary is; just anything about your job really, im just trying to find out as much as possible.

So basically, if you have a spare moment of time, i would be greatly appreciative if you could tell me anything about your career, what you like, what you dont like etc.

Thanks in advance,
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2009 #2

Gold Member

No chemical engineers here?
  4. Feb 12, 2009 #3
    There is a water melon next to me, it is what web's people's papa (henface) loves to eat
  5. Feb 12, 2009 #4
    It depends your level of education. With just an undergraduate degree in chemical engineering you'll be starting out with a 45-60k salary as a junior engineer until you work up to a project engineer making around 80k, or the engineering manager making around 120k. However, if you do post-graduate education you could go straight into the engineering manager or a project engineer in larger projects making a nice amount more. If you end up doing your doctorial and getting your PhD in chemical engineering, you'll have a lot more possibilities. My friends dad was a chemical engineer so it made me want to research it.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?