Dr Who Fans Unite - Join the Community

• Thread starter 42Physics
  • Start date
In summary, Doctor Who fans love the show for its good special effects, happy attitude, and the ability to run forever. However, they are mystified by the show's popularity.
strangerep said:
Ha! Good point. Hadn't thought of that.
Well, her head is full of bony-like protrusions. Perhaps she just has a pair of conveniently placed horns. Like a horny-toad Madonna. :biggrin:

Anyways, Drakkith was explaining to someone on another thread yesterday about the difference between science fiction and science fantasy.
After reading the discussion, I watched a 1978 episode, http://www.hulu.com/watch/570367#i0,p8,s15,d0 [Broken], where they shrank people.
It's probably because of PF that I stopped to think about the implications, and decided that shrinking people was science fantasy, as oxygen molecules would be mismatched in size, and the shrunken people would suffocate.

Update: I've now watched about 370 episodes in around 100 days. I should have taken better notes, as I'm never going to remember all of this. :redface:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Algr said:
I wouldn't say that. Physics Forums ought to know the problem with boobs on a reptile.

Like Jane Badler in V?

Algr said:
Now this is what an alien ought to look like

Technically, they are not aliens. (Indeed, that's part of a plot point)

strangerep said:
An older Jon Pertwee?? Surely not.

I was imprecise - I should have said 3rd, 4th, and I think 7th Doctors.

Vanadium 50 said:
Like Jane Badler in V?
:oldruck:

I was imprecise - I should have said 3rd, 4th, and I think 7th Doctors.
?? Jon Pertwee was the 3rd Doctor, afaik.

OmCheeto said:
Well, her head is full of bony-like protrusions. Perhaps she just has a pair of conveniently placed horns. Like a horny-toad Madonna. :biggrin:
Oh, you just ruined it for me. :oldruck:

Actually, her human-like well-manicured fingernails tend to give it away too.

I've now watched about 370 episodes in around 100 days. I should have taken better notes, as I'm never going to remember all of this. :redface:
When you reach the end, you might enjoy this documentary about the early days of Dr Who. I found it interesting, although William Hartnell's mental decline was rather sad.

Likes OmCheeto
Best Companion — Romona II (Romanadvoratrelundar — Lady Lalla Ward)

Well, it was refreshing to have someone on par with the Doctor for a change.

strangerep said:
Jon Pertwee was the 3rd Doctor, afaik.

Yes, and Baker was the 4th, and McCoy the 7th. Your point?

Vanadium 50 said:
Yes, and Baker was the 4th, and McCoy the 7th. Your point?
Thank you. (I didn't realize we were scoring points here.) :wink: :biggrin:

A piece of trivia...

I was watching an older episode (The Fires of Pompeii, circa Tennant+Tate). In the supporting cast were Peter Capaldi and Karen Gillan.

Does anyone know of other episodes in which an actor appeared briefly, who sbbsequently played a major (different) character in later series?

strangerep said:
A piece of trivia...

I was watching an older episode (The Fires of Pompeii, circa Tennant+Tate). In the supporting cast were Peter Capaldi and Karen Gillan.

Does anyone know of other episodes in which an actor appeared briefly, who sbbsequently played a major (different) character in later series?

Does the "Classic" Dr Who series count?
There's one guy that has been in 3 separate episodes, so far.
Googling indicates that his real name is Milton Johns.

And just to keep everyone up to date, I just started season 17. (1979)
To date, the only character from the series that I've recognized has been Geoffrey Palmer, of "As Time Goes By" fame.
I believe he's played two separate rolls so far.

Loren said:
Best Companion — Romona II (Romanadvoratrelundar — Lady Lalla Ward)

Well, it was refreshing to have someone on par with the Doctor for a change.

Yes. I was hoping that the 'Doctor Who Legacy' game would let you put her in the Doctor's slot.

strangerep said:
Does anyone know of other episodes in which an actor appeared briefly, who subsequently played a major (different) character in later series?

The most famous one is Colin Baker, who played a Time Lord bad-guy before becoming the Doctor. (Bigger role than Capaldi's.) Agatha Freeman played a different character the very episode before she became Martha. Nicholas Courtney played in a Hartnell episode before becoming the Brigadier.

OmCheeto said:
There's one guy that has been in 3 separate episodes, so far.
Googling indicates that his real name is Milton Johns.
One wonders if there was really a shortage a sufficiently talented actors in Britain, or whether this just reflects the various directors' favorites. :oldbiggrin:

(Josh Whedon, of Buffy/Angel fame, seems to have a tendency to re-use his favorite young actresses -- until they get too old. :bugeye: )

Algr said:
Agatha Freeman played a different character the very episode before she became Martha.
I guess you mean Freema Agyeman ?

(I also just noticed that Capaldi had an important supporting role in Torchwood -- Children of Earth.)

This is all in contrast to my recollections of "The Bill", where I never recognized a repeat performance by any actor. But perhaps that's because the inhabitants of South London were all portrayed as somewhat 1-dimensional? :oldwink:

Loren said:
Best Companion — Romona II (Romanadvoratrelundar — Lady Lalla Ward) Well, it was refreshing to have someone on par with the Doctor for a change.

Actually, Ramona 1 was a Time Lord on the par with the 4th Doctor in the "Key's to Time Trilogy" (Episodes 98-103) just before Lalla Ward. She was a great and good looking companion, but not around for long.

strangerep said:

Funny you ask that, because Lalla Ward was a character in the "Key's to Time Trilogy", and then when Ramona 1 rejuvenated into Ramona 2 (In Episode 104 "Destiny of the Daleks") she "copied" that character after trying a few others. The 4th doctor even commented on the copy job. Storyline wise, Ramona 1 and Ramona 2 were the same Time Lord.

My opinions:
Sara Jane was the worst Companion (Doctor, Doctor, Help Me - someone should count them)
Leela was fun
I really liked Rose
Clara is OK
Amy had her moments
Ramona 1 was great
Ramona 2 was the best overall
The rest were ... nothing special (?)

Last edited:
Yo! Whovian reporting for duty.

Does the Tardis still look like a 1969 police phone box in London, or did the Dr. manage to fix the fluid link yet?

rootone said:
Does the Tardis still look like a 1969 police phone box in London, or did the Dr. manage to fix the fluid link yet?
That would be a 1963 police box, and it is the chameleon circuit that failed. (There really was nothing wrong with the fluid link, The Doctor just said there was as an excuse to explore the Dalek city.)

rootone said:
Colin Baker's Sixth Doctor was the only incarnation of the Doctor to fix the Chameleon Circuit.

Series finale is on tonight here in Australia.

Axon said:
Colin Baker's Sixth Doctor was the only incarnation of the Doctor to fix the Chameleon Circuit.
I just finished watching that season this week. I wouldn't call what he did "fixing". He may have inserted something backwards into the circuit, as It seemed to pick objects that were quite extraordinarily out of place.
I think the first occurrence was a very expensive looking antique cabinet in a junk yard.

Likes Silicon Waffle
I learn some of the strangest things watching Dr. Who.
Today I learned that Captain Kangaroo's theme song, Puffin' Billy, was earlier associated with a BBC children's radio program.
Season 25 Episode 2
Remembrance of the Daleks, part 2

I normally don't look up every odd thing I come across, but the setting was London, in 1963, and I thought it was very odd that they would be listening to Captain Kangaroo on the radio.

But I am quite familiar with the "Fire of London" now. It was referenced in one episode, at the very end, that the Doctor may have had something to do with it. Then they had a later episode where it actually happened.
strangerep said:
One wonders if there was really a shortage a sufficiently talented actors in Britain, or whether this just reflects the various directors' favorites. :oldbiggrin:

I haven't noticed any "recycled" actors lately.
I've also only recognized two people.
John Cleese, who I know from Monty Python, did a cameo appearance in season 17.
Patricia Quinn, who portrayed Magenta in the Rocky Horror Picture Show, was in one series during season 24.

I have just started season 25 today.

I am also a big fan of doctor who and am lucky to have netflix since they put the newest episodes out only a few days after they air due to their contract.
All in all I personally like any episode with both David Tennant ( or Matt smith) and River Song since you know somethings going to go big.
The episode " ANGELS IN MANHATTEN" was an amazing show of the Weeping Angels true determination.

Devastated that they're is no new series for 2016.

Likes James Holland
yeah love it but not much of a fan of the new doctor

I had to go back and look at the date on these. No replies since 2013?

Likes James Holland
tobyr65 said:

The post above yours was made in March of this year.

Likes James Holland
tobyr65 said:
Huh? Posts on this page are from 2015 - 2016.

I'm also not a huge fan of Capaldi, though I think his 2nd season was better than his first -- except for his music. ?:)

Transplanting Arya Stark o_O into the main story arc was an interesting attempt, but I'm not sure it really worked. Tbh, I'm having trouble recalling any memorable episodes from the latest season. I hope they can find an interesting new companion for the next series.

Quick Quiz/Contest: In http://www.doctorwho.tv/50-years/companions, what do you reckon each one is saying/thinking?

I'd say the majority are thinking "WTF??". Except for Wilfred Mott who is totally speechless. :biggrin:

And Donna Noble, who's thinking: "OMG! He's got 2 hearts -- does he have 2 of anything else?" :nb)

Likes James Holland and Drakkith
Rolen said:
Mine is Tennant and Rose.
i second this
but when he had K-9 with him he was awsome

strangerep said:
I'm also not a huge fan of Capaldi, though I think his 2nd season was better than his first [...]
Reactivating this thread after a long break...

I'm kinda glad Capaldi's tenure has come to an end. I'm sure he tried his best, but I just found him mostly boring -- boredom only exceeded by Pearl Mackie's character "Bill" who was excruciatingly tedious. They never really got proper value from Matt Lucas's character, imho, though he does his best with the script(s) he's been given.

And now: 13th Doctor = Jodie Whittaker. I really like her in other roles, but,... as a female Dr Who?? Hmmm.
Yes, it seems that Dr Who has totally jumped the WHALE. :doh:

strangerep said:
Reactivating this thread after a long break...

I'm kinda glad Capaldi's tenure has come to an end. I'm sure he tried his best, but I just found him mostly boring -- boredom only exceeded by Pearl Mackie's character "Bill" who was excruciatingly tedious. They never really got proper value from Matt Lucas's character, imho, though he does his best with the script(s) he's been given.

I liked Capaldi but the latest series wasn't the best. He and Coleman had a lot better chemistry.

strangerep said:
And now: 13th Doctor = Jodie Whittaker. I really like her in other roles, but,... as a female Dr Who?? Hmmm.
Yes, it seems that Dr Who has totally jumped the WHALE. :doh:

Its a show about a thousand year old, two hearted, immortal time traveller who goes to ridiculously inconsistent places and times that are almost always a reflection (AKA stereotype) of some aspect (often idealised) of British culture. Why on Earth is the Doctor being a woman an issue?!

Ryan_m_b said:
[Capaldi] and Coleman had a lot better chemistry.
Yes.

Its a show about a thousand year old, two hearted, immortal time traveller who goes to ridiculously inconsistent places and times that are almost always a reflection (AKA stereotype) of some aspect (often idealised) of British culture.
Certainly there are plenty of episodes like that. But "almost always"? Dunno about that. What idealised aspect of British culture is reflected in The Rings of Akhaten or Blink (besides being set in Britain)? And the Weeping Angels in general?

Why on Earth is the Doctor being a woman an issue?!
Heh, because she'll probably acquire an attractive young male companion at some point, which I'd find really boring.

Oh! Did I actually say that out loud? :blushing:

Ryan_m_b said:
Why on Earth is the Doctor being a woman an issue?!

It's disturbing that people don't seem to see the difference between this and say, a female CEO. The Doctor is a person, not a job description. If they wanted a female lead they could have Jodie Whittaker as Romana and then write the Doctor out for a season. Yes, they said that Time Lords can change gender, but they also said that they could have "two heads, or no head." (Parting of the Ways, 2005) But would that make a good series?

Algr said:
It's disturbing that people don't seem to see the difference between this and say, a female CEO. The Doctor is a person, not a job description.

The Doctor is more than a dozen different people. They change out the actor more often than some companies change out CEO's, making the Doctor an entirely new person each time.

Drakkith said:
making the Doctor an entirely new person each time.

That doesn't mean he has no identity at all. Would it bother you if Jodie Whittaker played the role without a head?

Has anyone heard about the new Doctor, Jodie Whittaker?

Forget I asked. But, I wonder what her sonic screwdriver will be like?

<h2>What is "Dr Who Fans Unite - Join the Community"?</h2><p>"Dr Who Fans Unite - Join the Community" is an online community for fans of the popular science fiction TV show, Doctor Who. It is a place for fans to connect, share their love for the show, and discuss theories and episodes.</p><h2>How can I join "Dr Who Fans Unite - Join the Community"?</h2><p>You can join "Dr Who Fans Unite - Join the Community" by creating an account on the community website. This will give you access to all the features and discussions on the site.</p><h2>What can I expect from being a member of "Dr Who Fans Unite - Join the Community"?</h2><p>As a member of "Dr Who Fans Unite - Join the Community", you can expect to interact with other fans, participate in discussions, and share your thoughts and opinions on the show. You may also have access to exclusive content and events.</p><h2>Are there any rules or guidelines for participating in "Dr Who Fans Unite - Join the Community"?</h2><p>Yes, there are rules and guidelines in place to ensure a respectful and enjoyable experience for all members. These include being respectful of others, avoiding spoilers, and refraining from any form of discrimination or harassment.</p><h2>Can I invite my friends to join "Dr Who Fans Unite - Join the Community"?</h2><p>Absolutely! In fact, we encourage you to invite your friends to join the community and share their love for Doctor Who with others. The more, the merrier! Just make sure they also follow the rules and guidelines of the community.</p>

What is "Dr Who Fans Unite - Join the Community"?

"Dr Who Fans Unite - Join the Community" is an online community for fans of the popular science fiction TV show, Doctor Who. It is a place for fans to connect, share their love for the show, and discuss theories and episodes.

How can I join "Dr Who Fans Unite - Join the Community"?

You can join "Dr Who Fans Unite - Join the Community" by creating an account on the community website. This will give you access to all the features and discussions on the site.

What can I expect from being a member of "Dr Who Fans Unite - Join the Community"?

As a member of "Dr Who Fans Unite - Join the Community", you can expect to interact with other fans, participate in discussions, and share your thoughts and opinions on the show. You may also have access to exclusive content and events.

Are there any rules or guidelines for participating in "Dr Who Fans Unite - Join the Community"?

Yes, there are rules and guidelines in place to ensure a respectful and enjoyable experience for all members. These include being respectful of others, avoiding spoilers, and refraining from any form of discrimination or harassment.

Can I invite my friends to join "Dr Who Fans Unite - Join the Community"?

Absolutely! In fact, we encourage you to invite your friends to join the community and share their love for Doctor Who with others. The more, the merrier! Just make sure they also follow the rules and guidelines of the community.