How to Efficiently Compute the 9th Derivative at x = 0?

• Thread starter chrono210
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation suggests computing the 9th derivative of cos(6x^4) - 1 / x^7 at x = 0. Suggestions for solving this problem include expanding the cosine using its Taylor series and finding a general formula for the nth derivative. It is also mentioned that the derivative may not exist at x = 0 due to the 1/x^7 term.
chrono210
Compute the 9th derivative of cos(6x^4) - 1 / x^7 at x = 0.

Is there an easy way to do this that I'm not seeing? After taking a couple of derivatives, I realized how long this will take if I do it by taking more.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would be a bit concerned by the 1/x^7, considering the derivative doesn't exist there, and the cos part doesn't offer any sort of cancellation you might be looking for.

My guess is you're supposed to say it's trivially not defined, or you wrote the wrong function

I should probably clarify: (cos(6x^4) - 1) / x^7 at x = 0.

The x^7 is the only thing in the denominator.

Last edited:
Expand the cosine using its Taylor series.

Try finding a general formula for the nth derivative n see if you get a pattern

Xevarion said:

This is the only really practical suggestion. And it's not even that hard.

I'm not terribly sure if this will work in this case, but to extend the idea of expanding the cosine, we can exploit the definition of the Taylor series coefficients. This may be what Xevarion/Dick meant, but by finding the Taylor series of the entire function about a neighbourhood of zero then the coefficient of [itex] x^9 [/itex] will be your solution. I know that this works with much simpler functions, but this one is a bit complicated so I might make an error.

You can get the series representation by expanding the cosine, and treating everything else like polynomials. That is, when you do the expansion, you should get something along the lines of

[tex] cos(6x^4) = 1-18x^8+54x^{16} -\ldots [/tex]

Thus [tex] \frac{cos(6x^4) -1 }{x^7} = -18x + 54x^9-\ldots [/tex]

Now since [tex] f(x) = \displaystyle \sum_{n=o}^\infty \frac{f^n(0)}{n!} x^n [/tex]
then by equation coefficients, you can show that

[tex] f^9 (0) = 54\times 9! [/tex]

Edit: This is the exact same answer you'll get if you just expand the cosine series, since the procedure is precisely the same; however, I find that this is a useful technique that can be used with much nastier functions, so just thought I'd throw in my two-cents

Xevarion said:

Aww, I wanted to be the one to sweep in with the breath-of-fresh-air answer. I agree.

1. How can I make this process easier?

There are several ways to make a process easier. One way is to break it down into smaller, more manageable steps. Another way is to use tools or technology that can automate or simplify the process. Additionally, seeking help or advice from others who have experience with the process can also make it easier.

2. Is there a shortcut or quick fix for this task?

While there may be some shortcuts or quick fixes for certain tasks, it's important to carefully evaluate them before implementing. In some cases, these shortcuts may compromise the accuracy or quality of the results. It's always best to follow the proper procedures and methods to ensure the best outcome.

3. Can I use a different method to accomplish this task?

There may be alternative methods to accomplish a task, but it's important to consider the potential impact on the results. Different methods may yield different results, so it's important to carefully evaluate and choose the most appropriate method for the desired outcome.

4. Are there any tools or resources that can make this easier?

There are many tools and resources available that can assist with various tasks and processes. These can include software, equipment, databases, and more. It's a good idea to research and explore these options to find the best fit for your specific needs.

5. How can I streamline this process to save time?

Streamlining a process can involve identifying and eliminating any unnecessary steps, automating certain tasks, or utilizing technology to make the process more efficient. It's important to carefully analyze the process and determine where improvements can be made to save time and increase productivity.