Exploring My Violin Music Preferences

• Thread starter Pattonias
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Violin
In summary: I tried out the Celtic Fiddle Festival - Blair and I really enjoyed it. I also listened to some Metis fiddle and it was really good.
Pattonias
I have recently discovered I really enjoy music featuring violins. I have also learned that I have particular tastes when it comes to the type of violin music that I like and I'm wondering if another fan could help me to identify what I like specifically. I guess I'm asking how to describe the type of violin music I enjoy.

If anyone thinks they can help, I will list off some of the characteristics I have noticed so far and a few of the artists that I have enjoyed listening to.

Physics news on Phys.org
what kind of violin music, solo or accompanied?

I enjoy solo mostly, but if it is accompanied I like the violin to be the featured instrument.

So far I would say that I enjoy the music of Vanessa-Mae, although VM does play some music which seems a little higher temp than I like, a little too epic if that makes any sense.

I also like the group Bond. I really enjoy the feeling of the music. Or the mood that I get listening to their music.

It is really frustrating not knowing the terms to express the different aspects of the music. I've never really take an interest in music before, but I think if I learn a bit without overwhelming myself I could find more artists that I would enjoy.

The Schindler's List theme by John Williams has an awesome violin solo.

OK, so less of 'The Devil's Trill", less allegro, but you enjoy skill and flair.

Hmmm... why don't you hit up youtube or the like and listen to some Shostakovich? That would be a good benchmark if you can give your reactions to Concerto 1, and some other fun stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9tEdbwXxXw

Pattonias said:
I enjoy solo mostly
if you mean classical I would say the "mt everests" are the solo works by bach & ysaye. they're amazing. devil's trill is good too, & pagannini's 24 caprices, but for all-time best-ever stuff I would say bach & ysaye is as good as it gets.

It is really frustrating not knowing the terms to express the different aspects of the music. I've never really take an interest in music before, but I think if I learn a bit without overwhelming myself I could find more artists that I would enjoy.
In that case maybe you could find the score for something you like & follow along. I don't know if there's an intermediate step in there but I say just do it. here are a couple sites that have them for free:
http://imslp.org/wiki/Main_Page
http://icking-music-archive.org/index.php

Proton... fiddle! Oh man, good point... that opens up a whole realm of blue-grass and non-junk country of some quality.

For unaccompanied violin, nothing can match Bach's Sonatas and Partitas, in my opinion. The Chaconne is one of the greatest pieces of music ever composed:

Last edited by a moderator:
nismaratwork said:
... fiddle! ... that opens up a whole realm of blue-grass and non-junk country of some quality.
... and a whole lot more ... hi nismo, the violin thread, yeah!

And thanks Proton Soup. As well as other contributors. And yeah, JaWiB, the Chaconne is hot and that dude can play.

Pattonias, I love, and actually play (with highly variable proficiency) the fiddle. I'd
present some of my stuff, but that would be shamelessly self-promotional. Anyway, the
following players are imho a bit better at it.

This might not be the sort of violin music you're looking for, but it's what I like, so
here's a sampling:

Hey there ThomasT! Good points there, and I'd add: Celtic Fiddle Festival - Blair. I can't find a video or a download I'm sure is legal, but I had it on CD, and now mp3. Great little bit of work, but in general I love the combination of the fiddle and bodhran... and add the uilleann pipes for the total package.

Fiddle is great too, but I'd almost consider it a separate instrument because the style can be so different. I recently discovered Metis fiddle, and I quite enjoy it:

I'll listen to these when I study tomorrow. :smile:

JaWiB said:
Fiddle is great too, but I'd almost consider it a separate instrument because the style can be so different. I recently discovered Metis fiddle, and I quite enjoy it:

I wouldn't disagree with that, but for the purpose of this thread I don't know that it matters; this is about exploration of style.

i really like that celtic stuff. i find it, and some of the bluegrass/mountain music to be incredibly soulful.

I play violin and I prefer to play my own compositions.

Proton Soup said:
i really like that celtic stuff. i find it, and some of the bluegrass/mountain music to be incredibly soulful.

Agreed.

revnaknuma: Care to share?

Pattonias said:
I'll listen to these when I study tomorrow. :smile:

what did you end up trying out & what did you think?

fourier jr said:
what did you end up trying out & what did you think?

Yes! "Inquiring minds want to know." :biggrin:

Seriously... I'm glad you posted that... I've been wondering.

1. What is the history of the violin and when was it invented?

The violin was invented in the early 16th century in Italy by Andrea Amati. It evolved from the medieval fiddle and became a popular instrument during the Baroque period.

2. How does the sound of a violin differ from other string instruments?

The sound of a violin is unique due to its construction and materials. It has a hollow body made of wood, with four strings that are played by drawing a bow across them. This produces a warm and rich sound that is often described as "singing".

3. What are the different types of violins and how do they differ?

There are three main types of violins: classical, acoustic, and electric. Classical violins are the most common and are used in orchestras and classical music. Acoustic violins have a slightly different shape and are often used in folk music. Electric violins have a solid body and are used in modern and experimental music.

4. What are the benefits of learning to play the violin?

Learning to play the violin has many benefits. It can improve hand-eye coordination, memory, and concentration. It also helps to develop fine motor skills and can be a great stress reliever. Additionally, playing the violin can improve overall musicality and appreciation for music.

5. What are some famous violin pieces and composers?

Some of the most famous violin pieces include "The Four Seasons" by Antonio Vivaldi, "Violin Concerto in D Major" by Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky, and "Violin Sonata No. 9" by Ludwig van Beethoven. Some well-known violin composers include Johann Sebastian Bach, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, and Niccolo Paganini.