Ga Tech Engineers: Alumni & Student Experience & Attraction

• Thread starter gravenewworld
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the choice between attending the University of Michigan or Georgia Tech, with a focus on the experience and reputation of the engineering department at Georgia Tech. The speaker, a 2nd year mechanical engineering undergraduate, shares their experience and opinions about Georgia Tech and addresses common misconceptions about the school's difficulty and workload. They also mention the school's strong co-op and research programs. The conversation also briefly touches on the specific field of bioengineering and asks for insight from current students or graduates about their experience at Georgia Tech.
gravenewworld
Alumni or current students? How was your experience in Ga Tech/Atlanta? I'm very torn between University of Michigan and Ga Tech. Both are excellent schools. What attracted you to Ga Tech? Or do you have anything negative to say about the engineering department at Ga Tech?

Physics news on Phys.org
What specific field of engineering?

Hey, 2nd year Mechanical Engineering Undergrad here.

What attracted you to Georgia Tech? HOPE Scholarship

Do you have anything negative to say about the engineering department at Ga Tech?
Tech seems to get a really bad rap a lot of the time, but it's really not that bad. When I was deciding to go here I was scared out of my mind at how awful people were saying the school is. So I want to clear up all of this stuff for people who are like I was. First and foremost: don't come here if you don't want to work hard for your grades. I think part of the problem here is that admission is not nearly as selective as it is at academically comparable schools. Tech accepts ~60% of applicants where as other top notch schools accept 10-30%. So what happens is people get in here who can't really handle the curriculum and they plummet. If you can focus and spend a lot of time on school, you can do well. Personally, I didn't even try that hard in High School and did very well. However, here I'm studying or doing homework between 2 and 5 hours every day. It is also not impossible to do well here and still have fun.

This is a quote I pulled off from http://www.studentsreview.com/GA/GT_comments.html

I honestly think this sums up Georgia Tech the best. The school has a horrible reputation for being impossibly or unfairly hard with huge workloads. I would be lying if I said this was completely false. Yes, you will have a great deal of homework to do at times. I have had two professors give me homework that is intentionally unsolvable. I've had a few professors that do not want to teach, but I have also had a lot of amazing professors that truly care about their students. Remember that most introduction classes have 200+ students, so it is impossible for the professor to take interest in each student.

GA Tech is what you make it. If you put in the effort, it will be returned to you ten fold. GT has an amazing co-op and research program. Please take advantage of that if you come here.

I hope my incoherent rambling helps you. If you have any other questions, I'd be glad to express my opinion.

Bioengineering. But I'm just looking for what a grad or student has to say about the school and how much they like (or hate) it there, what it's like living in Atlanta, what kind of job prospects they have, how good the faculty are, what the worst and best things are about the school, etc. etc.

I cannot provide a personal response as I have not attended Ga Tech or the University of Michigan. However, I can offer some insight into the factors that may attract someone to Ga Tech's engineering program.

Ga Tech has a strong reputation for its engineering programs, consistently ranking among the top engineering schools in the country. Its alumni network is also highly regarded, with many successful professionals in various industries. This may be attractive to those looking for a strong network and potential job opportunities post-graduation.

In terms of the student experience, Ga Tech offers a diverse and rigorous curriculum, with opportunities for hands-on learning and research. The campus is also located in Atlanta, a major city with a thriving tech industry, providing students with access to internships and job opportunities.

However, it is important to note that every individual's experience at a university is unique and may vary. It is important to thoroughly research and compare the programs, resources, and overall fit for each individual before making a decision.

As for any potential negatives, it is best to speak with current students and alumni to get a better understanding of their experiences. It is also important to consider your own personal preferences and priorities in choosing a university.

1. What is the overall experience like for students at Ga Tech?

The overall experience for students at Ga Tech is highly regarded as challenging and rewarding. The curriculum is rigorous and fosters critical thinking and problem-solving skills. Students are also exposed to a diverse and inclusive community, with opportunities to participate in various clubs, organizations, and events.

2. How does Ga Tech prepare its students for the workforce?

Ga Tech offers a strong foundation in technical and analytical skills, as well as hands-on experience through co-ops, internships, and research opportunities. Additionally, the university has strong connections with industry partners, providing students with networking opportunities and access to job fairs and career services.

3. What makes Ga Tech alumni stand out in their respective fields?

Ga Tech alumni are known for their strong technical abilities, problem-solving skills, and adaptability. They are also highly sought after for their ability to work in teams and communicate effectively. The rigorous coursework and real-world experience at Ga Tech prepare alumni to excel in various industries and make significant contributions to their fields.

4. How does Ga Tech attract top students?

Ga Tech's reputation as a top-ranked engineering school and its rigorous curriculum attract many high-achieving students. The university also offers generous financial aid packages and has a diverse and inclusive community, making it an attractive option for students from all backgrounds.

5. How does Ga Tech support its students' personal and professional development?

Ga Tech offers a variety of resources and programs to support students' personal and professional development. This includes career services, leadership and mentorship programs, counseling and wellness services, and a strong alumni network. Additionally, students have access to numerous extracurricular activities and organizations to help them pursue their interests and passions outside of academics.