Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Any gas volume vs field interaction?

1. Apr 26, 2004 #1
    I wonder if there are any gases that react to applied E/M field changes by changing their volume? Apart thermal stuff of course. I assume that piezo electrics apply to solids, but how about gases?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2004 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

O2 in a magnetic field (probably some others); any gas in an electric field (remember the experiment in which dielectrics are "pulled" into the field?). Anything in particular you're hunting?

4. May 9, 2004 #3
    hmm, weird. I have checked this thread, but saw no answer to it. Now I see it was answered next day. weird..

Thanks for your hint. I'm thinking about how would it be possible to produce audible sound with as direct interaction with air as possible.
    What is the mechanism with O2? Electrostatic repulsion? or something else?

Last edited: May 9, 2004
  5. May 10, 2004 #4

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You might browse "electrostatic speakers" for particulars on a nearly direct interaction with air. Driving air itself with E/M fields is going to take field strengths that might be beyond handling.

6. May 21, 2004 #5

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How about clapping your hands ? Isn't that direct interaction with the air.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?