1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Any good books in physics?

1. Aug 10, 2007 #1
    I'm currently about to begin A-Levels (16-18 yrs old) studying in Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Physics. My main interests are Maths and physics but I also enjoy the others. Could anybody recommend good books that can feed my interest? I'm currently about to finish 'Contact' by Carl Sagan which is great but I'd prefer something more informative.
    I am certain in being involved in a career physics, maths and (maybe) chemistry.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2007 #2
    "Fabric of the Cosmos" by Brian Greene.... this was the first physics book I read and probably part of the reason that I decided to learn physics instead of becoming a doctor... you will probably enjoy this book a lot, it will explain some of the most interesting theoretical ideas out there without boring you with any excess... as for informative, Feynman's lectures on physics (the books) are just brilliant, in terms of the math... you may want to learn ordinary differential equations and vector calculus... but you can just skip all the derivations, save the math for college, and read his very understandable explanations of some normally very hard concepts...
    I am in college now but I started reading physics as a junior, and these were the best books that I have read so far... then again I still have a bookshelf full of books that were recommended to me that I have yet to read...
  4. Aug 10, 2007 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I liked Joe Silk's big bang. Any of the "in search of" by John Gribbin are good.
    The feynam lectures are bit hard going without ugrad maths, but "the character of phyical law" is short and excellent.

The Bill Bryson 'A Short History of Nearly Everything' is excellent, not really text book level - a lot is anecdote and biographical but it is a really excellent quick tour of the whole of science.
  5. Aug 10, 2007 #4
    yeah, in search of Schrodinger's cat was pretty good too
  6. Aug 10, 2007 #5
    Thanks, I've ordered Fabric of the Cosmos, I'll think about the others when I've finished it.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?