Recommendations for Physics Books for A-Level Studies?

In summary, the conversation is about the individual starting A-Levels in Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Physics, with a main interest in Maths and Physics. They are looking for book recommendations to feed their interest and are interested in pursuing a career in physics, maths and possibly chemistry. Some recommended books include "Fabric of the Cosmos" by Brian Greene, Feynman's lectures on physics, "Joe Silk's Big Bang", "In Search of" by John Gribbin, "The Character of Physical Law" by Richard Feynman, and "A Short History of Nearly Everything" by Bill Bryson.
tommyburgey
I'm currently about to begin A-Levels (16-18 yrs old) studying in Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Physics. My main interests are Maths and physics but I also enjoy the others. Could anybody recommend good books that can feed my interest? I'm currently about to finish 'Contact' by Carl Sagan which is great but I'd prefer something more informative.
I am certain in being involved in a career physics, maths and (maybe) chemistry.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
"Fabric of the Cosmos" by Brian Greene... this was the first physics book I read and probably part of the reason that I decided to learn physics instead of becoming a doctor... you will probably enjoy this book a lot, it will explain some of the most interesting theoretical ideas out there without boring you with any excess... as for informative, Feynman's lectures on physics (the books) are just brilliant, in terms of the math... you may want to learn ordinary differential equations and vector calculus... but you can just skip all the derivations, save the math for college, and read his very understandable explanations of some normally very hard concepts...
I am in college now but I started reading physics as a junior, and these were the best books that I have read so far... then again I still have a bookshelf full of books that were recommended to me that I have yet to read...

I liked Joe Silk's big bang. Any of the "in search of" by John Gribbin are good.
The feynam lectures are bit hard going without ugrad maths, but "the character of phyical law" is short and excellent.

The Bill Bryson 'A Short History of Nearly Everything' is excellent, not really textbook level - a lot is anecdote and biographical but it is a really excellent quick tour of the whole of science.

yeah, in search of Schrodinger's cat was pretty good too

Thanks, I've ordered Fabric of the Cosmos, I'll think about the others when I've finished it.

1. What are some good introductory books for learning physics?

Some good introductory books for learning physics include "Concepts of Physics" by H.C. Verma, "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday and Resnick, and "The Feynman Lectures on Physics" by Richard Feynman.

2. Are there any books that make complex physics concepts easier to understand?

Yes, there are many books that use creative and engaging explanations to make complex physics concepts easier to understand. Some examples include "Six Easy Pieces" by Richard Feynman, "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene, and "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking.

3. Can you recommend a book that covers both classical and modern physics?

"Introduction to Modern Physics" by John Dirk Walecka is a great book that covers both classical and modern physics. It starts with an overview of classical physics principles and then delves into topics such as relativity, quantum mechanics, and particle physics.

4. Are there any books that explore the history and development of physics?

Yes, "The History of Physics: A Very Short Introduction" by J. L. Heilbron provides a concise and accessible overview of the major developments in physics throughout history. "Einstein: His Life and Universe" by Walter Isaacson is also a well-written biography that explores the life and work of one of the most influential physicists in history.

5. Is there a book that covers advanced topics in physics for those with a strong understanding of the basics?

Yes, "Quantum Field Theory for the Gifted Amateur" by Tom Lancaster and Stephen J. Blundell is a great book for those looking to delve into advanced topics in physics. It covers topics such as quantum electrodynamics, renormalization, and the Higgs mechanism in a clear and engaging manner.