1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Any good documentries?

1. Jul 19, 2009 #1
    I'm really bored, does any have a good physics documentary. I've watched a lot of the good ones but maybe I haven't seen one of them.

Sorry I don't know where to put this, so can anyone move it the right spot?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 19, 2009 #2
    Newton's Dark Secrets.

Basically the life and times of Newton. Eventually gets into his little-known dabbling in alchemy.

4. Jul 19, 2009 #3
    I've watched it. I guess when i say physics doc. I really mean any science documentary. For example, physics, philosophy, mathematics.

5. Jul 19, 2009 #4
    These are not documentaries but it might interest you: http://www.teach12.com

They have some killer layman-type courses on several scientific topics. I've bought 4 of them. I especially recommend the one by Alex Fillippenko. Now there's a guy who loves science and has an incredible ability to teach.

6. Jul 19, 2009 #5
    If you go to Hulu you can watch for free Carl Sagan's Cosmos series ( http://www.hulu.com/cosmos [Broken] ) and some PBS Nova episodes ( http://www.hulu.com/nova [Broken] ). If you go to YouTube you can watch (in ten-minute installments) Gymkata, a documentary on how the U.S. government fused gymnastics and karate to help further its Star Wars missile defense system ( ). You can also find a quick summary of that documentary ( ) as well as a clip from its most intellectually stimulating sequence ( ).

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  7. Jul 19, 2009 #6
    Just finished watching absolute zero.

And, it's preety good!

8. Jul 19, 2009 #7

Danger

Gold Member

There was a great movie which I believe was called 'Little Boy and Fat Man', depicting the development of the atomic bomb.
    Also, if you aren't averse to Canuck productions, there a docudrama (some made up dialogue and a couple of characters fused into one) all about the Avro Arrow (which was the most superior aircraft on the face of the planet at the time). I think that it's available from CBC television if not on the net. Most of the actor-duplicated real people involved in the project went on to design the Apollo mission, the Concorde, the Shuttle, and a lot of other things. (The lunar lander used by Apollo was originally designed to be launched from the Arrow.) It's a fascinating study of both (simplified) aeronautical engineering and the stupidity of politics. (If you have trouble finding it, Google Dan Ackroyd (who starred in it) and you'll probably find some links to it.

9. Jul 19, 2009 #8
    The movie is called "The Arrow"

10. Jul 20, 2009 #9

sas3

Gold Member

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  11. Jul 20, 2009 #10

Danger

Gold Member

Quite right. That's the name that I wrote on my video tape of the TV showing, but I wasn't sure if it was the official title. Thanks.

12. Jul 20, 2009 #11

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

13. Jul 21, 2009 #12
    you may watch TIME WARP as well...it shows things around us in slow motion...it's entertaining and educational at the same time...

14. Jul 21, 2009 #13

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9fCPhspOCQ

15. Jul 21, 2009 #14
    Try UNIVERSE now on the history channel if it's available where you are....quite good but a tad slow due to superfluous visuals for those with some background.

16. Jul 21, 2009 #15

thrill3rnit3

Gold Member

How about mathematics documentaries?

17. Jul 21, 2009 #16
    have there been any documentaries made that are about someone getting their phd?

18. Jul 22, 2009 #17
  19. Jul 27, 2009 #18
    Dangerous Knowledge by the BBC covers the life and work of Georg Cantor, Ludwig Boltzmann, Kurt Gödel, and Alan Turing. It was enjoyable and is on YouTube and Google Video.

20. Jul 27, 2009 #19
    > have there been any documentaries made that are about someone getting their phd?

It isn't a documentary, but Dark Matter is a mostly-fictional representation of a grad student. I'll warn you ahead of time that it's very depressing and presents a severely altered view of a real event.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook