What are some creative interview questions for student pub owners?

• Thread starter kasse
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Interview
In summary, the speaker is going to be a journalist for the university paper and is looking for interesting questions to ask the students who run a student pub/disco/bar. Suggestions are given for questions about the type of music played, the role of the DJ, specials on food and beer, most popular beer, opening/closing times on weekends, draft beer selection, and typical weekend attendance. Additional suggestions for questions include asking about live bands, popular mixed drinks, unique beer selection, the process of running the pub, and personal questions for the interviewees. The speaker mentions that the interview will not be serious and most readers are likely to know the interviewees.
kasse
I'm going to be a journalist for the university paper this weekend, interviewing some students that run a student pub/disco/bar. I don't want it to be a boring read, so I need some good questions! Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
1.) What kind of music do you play
2.) Does your DJ play whatever he/she likes, or do you give them a crapy playlist
3.) When are your specials on food and beer
4.) What is your most popular beer to try
5.) What time do you open/close on weekends
6.) What beers do you have on draft
7.) how many students do you normally have on a weekend

Most of your questions are likely to be pretty boring. The interesting stuff is too likely to get people in trouble. ;-)

You might ask if they plan to have live bands or what bands have played there before.
Ask about mixed drinks they serve and what are popular. I know that since it is a campus pub they are only likely able to sell beer and wine but there are mixed drinks you can make with beer and such.
The pub at UCI used to have an incredibly large selection of microbrew beer. They did not serve any Budweiser, Coors, Corona, ect.. See if they have an unusual selection and ask what they go through to get such a selection.
Ask them what they have had to do to keep the pub running and how they got their jobs.
You could put a face on the place by asking them each personal questions (not too personal) and when they work the bar.

The interview is not going to be very serious. Besides, most of the readers know the interviewees.

1. What are some key qualities you look for in a potential employee during an interview?

When conducting interviews, I typically look for a combination of technical skills, adaptability, communication and problem-solving abilities, and a strong work ethic. I also pay attention to the candidate's enthusiasm and passion for the role and company.

2. How do you determine if a candidate is a good fit for the company culture?

I like to ask questions that give insight into a candidate's values, personality, and work style. I also pay attention to non-verbal cues and observe how the candidate interacts with others during the interview process. Additionally, I may ask about their past experiences working in different team environments.

3. What is your approach to assessing a candidate's technical skills during an interview?

I usually start by asking the candidate to explain their experience and background in the relevant technical areas. Then, I may ask a series of technical questions and/or provide a hypothetical problem for the candidate to solve. Depending on the role, I may also ask for examples of their previous work or ask them to complete a coding or technical assessment.

4. How do you handle a difficult or unexpected response during an interview?

If a candidate gives a difficult or unexpected response, I usually remain calm and ask follow-up questions to gain a better understanding of their perspective. I may also ask them to provide specific examples or elaborate on their response. It's important to give the candidate the benefit of the doubt and try to understand their thought process.

5. Can you give an example of a time when you had to make a difficult decision during the hiring process?

One time, I had to choose between two equally qualified candidates for a position. After careful consideration, I ultimately went with the candidate who had a stronger cultural fit with the team and company. While both candidates had the technical skills for the job, it was important for our team to have someone who could seamlessly integrate and contribute to our company culture.