Any good lay explanation of the Schrödinger cat duality?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of superposition in Quantum Mechanics and the confusion that arises from trying to express it in traditional language. The state of a system is described as a superposition of multiple states, and observation affects the state of the system. The mathematics involved in understanding this concept is important, and lectures from experts such as Leonard Susskind are recommended. The conversation also touches on the Schrödinger's cat thought experiment, which is used to explain the idea of linking a macroscopic state to a quantum system. There are many different interpretations of this concept, and it is difficult to find a good lay publication on the subject.
Quandry said:
No, but you would have to measure the position of the block twice and you would never know whether the momentum was as a result of mass or velocity without measuring the bullet.
But all that is neither here nor there. We still don't know where the bullet came from, what its trajectory was or what other forces acted on it during its travels and you can't know that based on your example.

You CAN measure the position and momentum of a bullet simultaneously to a very high level of accuracy. The uncertainty principle does apply to a macro object like a bullet, but the uncertainty is negligible. There is no practical issue measuring the momentum and position of a bullet simultaneously. A high-speed camera would do it. The camera does not affect the bullet to any measurable degree.

But, the uncertainty for a quantum object like an electron is not negligible. You cannot simply use a high-speed camera to follow an electron.

The question that Niels Bohr analysed (which is clearly not as simple as you would like to believe) is what happens practically when you carry out measurements on an electron. And how and why the uncertainty principle is enforced by experimental constraints.

Likes vanhees71
Physics news on Phys.org
PeroK said:
You CAN measure the position and momentum of a bullet simultaneously to a very high level of accuracy. The uncertainty principle does apply to a macro object like a bullet, but the uncertainty is negligible. There is no practical issue measuring the momentum and position of a bullet simultaneously. A high-speed camera would do it. The camera does not affect the bullet to any measurable degree.

But, the uncertainty for a quantum object like an electron is not negligible. You cannot simply use a high-speed camera to follow an electron.

The question that Niels Bohr analysed (which is clearly not as simple as you would like to believe) is what happens practically when you carry out measurements on an electron. And how and why the uncertainty principle is enforced by experimental constraints.
My purpose in continuing with your macro example was to illustrate that, in any terms your example was incorrect.
To continue with your example, no high speed camera can capture the position of the bullet at every instance of time and therefore you cannot have certainty of momentum between two frames.
But uncertainty is not about measurement.
"Historically, the uncertainty principle has been confused with a somewhat similar effect in physics called the observer effect, which notes that measurements of certain systems cannot be made without affecting the systems, that is, without changing something in a system"
Heisenbergs uncertainty principle is independent of measurement, it says that there is a fundamental limit to the precision with which complimentary variables, such as position and momentum Can Be Known.

Quandry said:
My purpose in continuing with your macro example was to illustrate that, in any terms your example was incorrect.
To continue with your example, no high speed camera can capture the position of the bullet at every instance of time and therefore you cannot have certainty of momentum between two frames.
"Historically, the uncertainty principle has been confused with a somewhat similar effect in physics called the observer effect, which notes that measurements of certain systems cannot be made without affecting the systems, that is, without changing something in a system"
Heisenbergs uncertainty principle is independent of measurement, it says that there is a fundamental limit to the precision with which complimentary variables, such as position and momentum Can Be Known.

You are misunderstanding the point. If the HUP is independent of measurement, then what stops someone simply carrying out an experiment to a degree of accuracy less than the HUP predicts?

You could argue that other uncertainties in experimental measurements must always be greater than the theoretical HUP uncertainty. Okay, but why? What if you simply get better and better at experimentation: eventually you should get in under the HUP.

Also, the HUP predicts uncertainty only in certain so-called "incompatible" observables. For example, even for an electron, there is no HUP for the position in the x-direction and the momentum in the y-direction.

So, in theory, you COULD measure these quantities with unlimited accuracy.

So, if you measure the x-position and y-momentum to a certain accuracy, why can't you measure the x-position and x-momentum to the same degree of accuracy? Something must stop you. And, it's not non-commuting Hermitian operators - as they are not physically present in the lab.

A theory alone cannot stop you doing anything - there must be a physical manifestation of the theory. That's what Bohr was looking for.

For example, it's not the theory of relativity that stops you going faster than light. There must be a physical manifestation of the theory.

Quandry said:

If uncertainty is not about measurement, then what it is about?

The uncertainty is about preparation. You cannot prepare a particle to have accurate momentum and position at the same time due to the uncertainty relation
##\Delta x_j \Delta p_k \geq \delta_{jk}/2.##
You can measure momentum and position as accurately as you want. In fact, to verify the uncertainty relation you must measure both quantities with a much higher accuracy than the given standard deviations in the uncertainty relation. Of course, you cannot measure position and momentum at a single particle but you can measure either of these quantities on an ensemble of identically prepared particles with arbitrary accuracy, and in this sense the uncertainty relation is understood in quantum theory.

Likes PeroK
I read the Weirdness book despite it being 20 years old; the author is well-credentialled. It appears that the empirical evidence and the math should be taken as good and not as following the narrative but as the authority for the narrative, so that major defects belong to the major narratives as explanations of the evidence and math. And three major narratives differ and yet dominate. It was helpful to read the narratives as separate, not unified, which may have been my error in understanding other literature.

The many-worlds narrative is an infinitely-many-worlds narrative, which means measurements of the spatial dimensions of our universe (a universe of matter and energy, not of emptiness beyond) must be infinitely long, which scientists in cosmology fields reject by their finite measurements.

The hidden-variables approach makes sense. Every time we identify a new "smallest" atomic particle it's said to have no known internal structure until the day it's agreeably theorized to have a structure, thus a variable, thus a variable that's hidden till revealed, leaving some other particle to enclose its own hidden variable/s. If some seemingly-indivisible particles spin, some motivator must cause or continue the spinning, and if the motivator is not always external to the particle then at least sometimes it's internal, implying the particle has a hidden structure, thus a hidden variable.

But I don't want to trash the other approaches. They may contribute to a theoretical synthesis.

I had to return the book so I can't quote for its lacunae, but I think the assertion that what is unobserved therefore doesn't exist (Copenhagen) appears still as a faith-based statement, of a kind that lurks in various forms in various sciences until the existence is proven (e.g., biology's concept of "junk DNA" that now has acknowledged existing purpose (https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/hidden-treasures-in-junk-dna/ & http://healthland.time.com/2012/09/06/junk-dna-not-so-useless-after-all/ both as accessed Oct. 16, 2016)).

One problem with the unobserved being nonexistent: Suppose I, Nick, in a space suit with oxygen, am rocketed into outer space, ejected, and, becoming a complete system, momentarily unobserved. Through that moment, I think, feel, and talk to myself. From the standpoint of people on Earth, do I not exist? Am I thereafter, when re-observed, born an adult (at any arbitrary age not less than when being observed was lost plus the duration of nonobservation)? I don't think so. If not, then at least history is part of observationalism, since observation at one point in time would deny the ability to say that the observed could not have existed when unobserved.

If war and a natural calamity combine to wipe out all of Earth's telescopes except hand-held optical models and to lower our food supply so no more generations of people are very intelligent, the partial loss of humans' ability to observe and the passage of time sufficient for natural destruction of the formerly observed would, I think, not degrade the larger universe through progressive nonobservation by former particles of remaining particles until the universe's contents are much reduced to far less than we catalogue today.

Perhaps the math assigns the same value (e.g., 0) to a thing's nonacknowledgment and to its nonexistence, but, if so, that could be a convention, and perhaps not a solid donor to a pending narrative.

Maybe I'll look for Bohr's paper.

Einstein's objectivist view that we just may not understand what underlies the empirical findings and the math may be dated but right, I think. We may have to keep analyzing until one theory explains all that's known, and that need not be classical mechanics but likely will be quantum. I'll assume we even today have experimental results that are solid, replicated with variants, and yet not wholly explained ("weird"), maybe not the experiments that David Lindley wrote of but maybe newer results. Subjectivity is not without a role but maybe we're pushing objectivity too far away.

It won't be the first time a partial explanation was replaced.

Hi Everyone,

One question that boggle my mind , now that they have been able to photograph light behaving as wave and particle at the same time , does the theory of multi universe still stands good?

Avinash Arrah said:
Hi Everyone,

One question that boggle my mind , now that they have been able to photograph light behaving as wave and particle at the same time , does the theory of multi universe still stands good?
Can you give a reference in a scientific journal, where it is detailed, what's meant by "photograph light behaving as wave and particle at the same time" (which in my opinion is never the case since there is no wave-particle dualism since 1925 in our contemporary quantum theory anymore). I'm also not aware that any theory of "multi universe" has a particularly good standing anywhere in the science community.

Well, the photoelectric effect does NOT demonstrate wave-particle duality in any sense. At the level described by Einstein, it shows the quantum nature of the electrons but not the quantum nature of the em. field. I highly recommend to read good no-nonsense textbooks on the subject. As a first starter, I recommend Susskinds "Theoretical Minimum" book.

Concerning the many-worlds interpretation, it's just up to you what you like to follow. It's irrelevant for quantum theory as a physical theory. All you need is the minimal statistical interpretation to relate the formalism of the theory to real-world experiments and observations, and that's all that counts in science. Interpretations are, to a large extent, just philosophical speculation and is rather hindering an understanding of QT instead of helping to understand it.

PeroK said:
If uncertainty is not about measurement, then what it is about?

Been away, so I guess there was some uncertainty about whether or not I would answer. How long did that uncertainty last? When did you conclude I would not answer? You had no way of knowing, and were probably wrong if you made an assumption.

Uncertainty is about ability to know. No matter how good your measurement system is you cannot know a particles absolute position and its velocity at the same time because velocity is a measure dependent on time change. You can't know two things at the same time if time is a factor in determining one of them.

Quandry said:
You can't know two things at the same time if time is a factor in determining one of them.
That's not where the uncertainty principle comes from. For example, time is in no way a factor in determining the spin of a particle along either of two different axes, but the uncertainty principle still applies and prevents us from determining both at the same time.

Nugatory said:
That's not where the uncertainty principle comes from. For example, time is in no way a factor in determining the spin of a particle along either of two different axes, but the uncertainty principle still applies and prevents us from determining both at the same time.

Heisenbergs Uncertainty Theory was based on measuring the conjugate variables, principally position and momentum. Originally he argued that determining the position by measurement affected the momentum. He later argued that if you knew the velocity, then measured the position, the uncertainty principal did not apply, i.e. there was no uncertainty in the past.
Therefore it seems fairly clear that the uncertainty principle 'comes from' consideration of a particles position and momentum. Which was the topic being discussed.
Certainly, it is only one example of a great many including your example.
As to whether or not time is a factor you state that the UP "prevents us from determining both at the same time" So time is a factor.
More specifically, if one of the variables is velocity, time is a critical factor because velocity cannot be determined at one point in time. It takes at least two.

The uncertainty is not about measurement but about preparation. It's important to understand that. It says that in any (pure or mixed) state the standard deviations of two observables ##A## and ##B## obey
$$\Delta A \Delta B \geq \frac{1}{2} |\langle [\hat{A},\hat{B}] \rangle|.$$
This implies that, if the observables are incompatible, i.e., the operators do not commute, you cannot prepare the system to be in a state, where both variables are determined, and the more determined you make one of them the less determined the other one gets.

This does not limit the accuracy with which you can measure the observables ##A## and ##B##. According to the Born rule, i.e., the statistical meaning of quantum states, you measure an observable by preparing a lot of quantum systems in the same way (avoiding any correlations between these preparation procedures) and measure either ##A## or ##B##. To verify the uncertainty relation for the given state, you must perform the measurements such that the accuracy of each measurement is much better than the standard deviations in order to verify these standard deviations by collecting "enough statistics", i.e., by repeating the preparation and measurement procedure often enough to be able to determine the statistical properties of the ensemble, defined by the state you prepare it in, with sufficient confidence (in particle physics for a discovery you need at least ##5 \sigma## significance level).

vanhees71 said:
The uncertainty is not about measurement but about preparation.
Measurement and preparation both imply that uncertainty would change if we could prepare and measure. However, it is no more dependent on our ability to prepare than it is on our ability to measure. The point is that it is not possible to determine with exactness two conjugate variables at a single point in time. No matter how short the time is between the two determinations, assumptions have to be made about what has happened in the intervening interval.
The Born rule (sometimes called the Born Law - but Law it is not) is a matter of probabilities. It is possible, with sufficient information, to determine to a high degree of accuracy the probability of A and B having specific states. But this has nothing to do with determining a single particles position and momentum. Born's rule implies that so long as the standard deviation is other than zero, we have uncertainty.

Quandry said:
Measurement and preparation both imply that uncertainty would change if we could prepare and measure. However, it is no more dependent on our ability to prepare than it is on our ability to measure. The point is that it is not possible to determine with exactness two conjugate variables at a single point in time. No matter how short the time is between the two determinations, assumptions have to be made about what has happened in the intervening interval.
The Born rule (sometimes called the Born Law - but Law it is not) is a matter of probabilities. It is possible, with sufficient information, to determine to a high degree of accuracy the probability of A and B having specific states. But this has nothing to do with determining a single particles position and momentum. Born's rule implies that so long as the standard deviation is other than zero, we have uncertainty.
Can you cite a source for this claim?

Nugatory said:
Can you cite a source for this claim?
Not sure which of the claims you mean.
Para 1 - I am sure you know many sources for the claim, but it may be that there is something in the way I have expressed it that makes it uncertain.
ΔaΔp ≥ h/ 4π supports the claim but I have chosen not to express it in terms of particle wavelengths.

Para 2 - Once again, I know that you know more about Borns Rule that I do. My claim is that if you do only one measurement Born's rule does not apply, and if you do a statistically meaningful number of measurements resulting in an SD of zero uncertainty does not exist for the case.

Born's rule applies. It tells you the probability for the outcome of a measurement given the (pure or mixed) state of the system. A single measurement, of course, doesn't tell much about whether these probabilities are correct predictions of not. For that you need an ensemble to get "enough statistics". That's why I think that the minimal statistical interpretation is the only interpretation of QT which makes sense of the formalism as a physical theory. You may add philosophical twists to it (or even to the very "meaning" of probabilities), but in the lab to test a probabilistic prediction you need to repeat an experiment often, i.e., you have to use (large) ensembles.

Likes bhobba
vanhees71 said:
A single measurement, of course, doesn't tell much about whether these probabilities are correct predictions of not.
You're right of course. My statement was a course way of saying that without sufficient input Borns rule could not provide useful output.

Simon Phoenix said:
But the real problem - that of measurement in QM (which many will also say is a 'solved' problem - or not even a problem) - hasn't gone away - we've just shifted it about a bit.

:smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile:

Exactly.

Although beyond the level of this thread THE book that explains it is a standard text:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/3540357734/?tag=pfamazon01-20

For the OP start with Feynman:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QED:_The_Strange_Theory_of_Light_and_Matter

Once you have done that tell us how you went and we can make further suggestions.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited by a moderator: