Any good statistics glossaries out there?

• Thread starter Cinitiator
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Statistics
In summary, the Wikipedia page provides a thorough overview of the field of statistics, but for more in-depth understanding, consider seeking out additional resources such as specialized books, online tutorials, and expert forums.
Cinitiator
I'm looking for a statistical glossary - an organized and detailed list of concepts which constitute the field of statistics. I've already checked the glossaries of some statistics books; however, many of the said glossaries seem to use very general terms to define each glossary terms - they don't list all the sub-terms of each term.

So far, I found a page which seems to be rather good:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outline_of_statistics

Are some things missing on this page? Or is it a good learning reference? Do you know any better learning references of this kind, or at least the general terms I should search for?

Physics news on Phys.org
The Wikipedia page you linked to is a great resource for a comprehensive overview of the field of statistics. It covers many of the core concepts, including probability distributions, regression analysis, and statistical inference. The definitions given are detailed enough for a basic understanding of each concept. In addition to the Wikipedia page, you might want to look for more specialized resources. For example, some books specialize in teaching specific topics in statistics, such as linear algebra or time series analysis. You can also find online tutorials and courses which cover different aspects of the subject. Finally, websites like Stack Exchange provide a good place to ask questions and get answers from experts.

1. What is a statistics glossary?

A statistics glossary is a comprehensive list of terms, definitions, and concepts commonly used in statistics. It serves as a reference guide for understanding and interpreting statistical terminology and methods.

2. Why is a statistics glossary important?

A statistics glossary is important because it helps researchers and practitioners to communicate effectively and accurately using standardized terminology. It also serves as a tool for students and beginners to understand complex statistical concepts and methods.

3. Are there any online statistics glossaries available?

Yes, there are many online statistics glossaries available. Some popular options include the Glossary of Statistical Terms by the American Statistical Association, the Statistics Glossary by Stat Trek, and the Glossary of Statistical Techniques by the University of Plymouth.

4. What should I look for in a good statistics glossary?

A good statistics glossary should have a comprehensive list of terms and definitions, with clear and concise explanations. It should also include examples and illustrations to help with understanding. Additionally, it should be regularly updated to reflect any changes in statistical terminology and methods.

5. Can I contribute to a statistics glossary?

Yes, many statistics glossaries allow for contributions from experts and users. You can suggest new terms or definitions, or provide feedback on existing ones. This helps to ensure that the glossary remains accurate and relevant.