Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Any guitarists here?

1. Aug 20, 2004 #1
    Yea, wondering if there are anyone who play guitar round here? maybe this thread can be talking about that broom with the 6 strings on.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 20, 2004 #2
    I know there are but I am a musician not a guitarist. Sorry.

The Bob (2004 ©)

4. Aug 20, 2004 #3
    Yeah, I play a little. Mostly electric, but some accustic.

5. Aug 20, 2004 #4
    Acoustic (Sorry but I must correct music). :redface: :biggrin: :shy: :tongue2:

The Bob (2004 ©)

6. Aug 20, 2004 #5
    You know something, I used the spellcheck feature and it highlighted that word and I pushed the "correct" button! It didn't correct the word. :yuck:

I just did some research on my electric guitar and found that it is a vintage collectable. :smile: I was thinking about buying a new one, but in light of what I just discovered, I'm not so sure.

It's a Westbury Performer (not sure what year). It's not a bad guitar, but the back of the neck has a high gloss finish and my thumb sticks and makes it hard to move.

What do you guys think, should I just take some sandpaper to the neck and knock down the finish a little? Or is this a bad idea?

7. Aug 20, 2004 #6
    LoL

I think it is a bad idea. You just need to play it more and it will soon wear in.

The Bob (2004 ©)

8. Aug 20, 2004 #7
    I play guitare piano and saxophone. None of them extraordinarily. But still. I like many different stuff, but I need classical music several times a week.

Totally agree with The Bob. You'll get used to it. Don't spoil it. Work hard. :wink:

9. Aug 20, 2004 #8
    I play a little geetah, what types of music do PF members like to play? I'm currently trying to nail down "Zombie Inc" by IN FLAMES.

10. Aug 20, 2004 #9
    I have a yamaha electric that I am trying to learn. I can pretty much learn most rock and pop songs if supplied the tabs, maybe not very well, but decently ;) My biggest problem is getting my fingers to move faster and in the correct position. I can always get in the general area, I must be guitar declined. :frown:

Last edited: Aug 20, 2004
  11. Aug 20, 2004 #10

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I play guitar also. I play an Ibanez S470 through a Marshall AVT275 combo, and also have a Takamine acoustic.

- Warren

12. Aug 20, 2004 #11

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Piano and electric bass here. Guitar is nice, but melodic percussion is my thang!

13. Aug 20, 2004 #12
    As everyone is posting what they play I will as well:

Cornet, Piano, Violoncello, Bassoon, Oboe, Saxophone (Alto and Tenor but the others are the same), melodic percussion (Glockenspiel, Xylophone, Tubular Bells etc..) and a bit of Bass Guitar.

The Bob (2004 ©)

14. Aug 20, 2004 #13
  15. Aug 21, 2004 #14
    I play guitar, have for about 4 years, maybe I'll get up some clips tomorrow of some songs I've composed.

16. Aug 21, 2004 #15
    Man, those Ibanez S series guitars are really sweet, but sorry to hear about the amp, you know those AVT's are a ripoff, right? They make it seem like the preamp section's all tube when really there are something like 20 or 24 solid state transistors in the 100 model and only one tube(that's a trait of all the AVT's, the 20 or 24 SS transistors is just something with the 100, yours would need even more than that), and all it really does is add a bit of flavor to the sound. You could have spent around the same amount of money and gotten an all tube DSL 401 combo that would likely be more than loud enough for whatever you needed it for.

Speaking of which, what did you need such a loud amp for, you in a band and playing live shows, or do you just like pissing off your neighbors? :biggrin:

Last edited: Aug 21, 2004
  17. Aug 21, 2004 #16
    I play the piano. I'm trying to play the drums (no success yet). I also have a Fender electric guitar that I'm dying to play but I can't because my father wants me on the drums while he plays the guitar. :biggrin:

18. Aug 21, 2004 #17
    Jin, if you are into simple guitar riffs, try "Rebel, Rebel" by David Bowie.

19. Aug 21, 2004 #18
    I can play that. =)

20. Aug 21, 2004 #19
    hey, i have a Fender Stratocaster.

im not sure if i can say that i play any other instrument, i have picked out the intro for stairway to heaven on the piano by just listening. Just played it over and over again in my head since i already knew it for guitar.

Also have a Yamaha, accustic. I also play bass pretty well, but drums isn't my strongest side.

21. Aug 21, 2004 #20
    I have a Squier (cheap subsidiary of Fender) strat with 2 humbuckers and a Vox amp. I am pretty crappy, but I do a decent Enter Sandman (minus the solo).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?