1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Any Hints?

1. Sep 29, 2004 #1
    Any Hints!?!?

I'm stuck on these 2 problems.. Any hints would be helpful!

1. What is the minimum work needed to push a 950-kg car 810m up along a 9 degree incline? a) ignore friction, b) assume the effective coefficient of a friction retarding the car is .25.

This is what I did, but I don't think it's correct... :
    A) W= Fdcost = mdcost = (950)(810cos9) = 7.6 * 10^5 J.
    B) Wfr= Ffr*x*cos(180+9) = .25 * 810 *cos189 = -200 J

2. A 65 kg trampoline artist jumps vertically upward from the top of a platform with a speed of 5 m/s. A) how fast is he going as he lands o nteh trampoline, 3 m below? b) if the trampoline behaves liek a sprign with spring stiffness constant 6.2 * 10 ^4 N/m how far does he depress it?
    I got the a) part using .5mv^2 + mgy1 = .5mv^2 + mgy2
    and found v= 9.15 m/s
    b) I'm not sure which equation to use... I tried using .5mvi^2 + .5kx1^2 = .5mvf^2 + .5kx2^2 But I wasn't quite sure what to plug in, and when I tried all the different possibilities I did not get the corect answer.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2004 #2
    Nobody!?! Please help! I have a quiz this friday! I really need to know how to do these problems!!!
  4. Sep 29, 2004 #3

Homework Helper

Fused do a Free body diagram for the body on the incline.
  5. Sep 30, 2004 #4
    I did that, but I don't know how to put the information into formulas

6. Sep 30, 2004 #5

Homework Helper

Use Newton's 2nd Law

[tex] \sum^{n}_{i=1} \vec{F}_{i} = m \vec{a} [/tex]
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?