Find Alternatives to Acetone for Nail Polish Removal

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Acetone
In summary: I was cleaning a counter top that had been covered in a sticky, gooey substance. I sprayed some of the booster into the area and worked it in with a brush. Within minutes the goo was gone and the surface was clean.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
For a household substitute for Acetone except nail polish?

Physics news on Phys.org
wolram said:
For a household substitute for Acetone except nail polish?

it depends on the purpose.

Pythagorean said:
it depends on the purpose.

It is not for any thing sinister or dangerous, just a house hold job that may crop up some time.

The question was what property of Acetone is this to be used for- really, for what job?

HallsofIvy said:
The question was what property of Acetone is this to be used for- really, for what job?

I need it to disolve another substance, and i am trying not to be :blushing:

you want to dissolve cyanoacrylate?

Proton Soup said:
you want to dissolve cyanoacrylate?

Yes please, a rather large area.

and what are you removing it from? Also necessary to know the material.

Why not use acetone? This is one mysterious thread.

because acetone burns the privates. don't worry I had the same problem. hot bath, take your time.

I just had a bright idea: peanut butter! :biggrin:

I don't know exactly what you are trying to do, but peanut butter can be used to remove glue or other sticky things like gum. I sometimes use it to remove the glue residue that is left when you pull off transparent tape from plastic (and peanut butter, unlike acetone or nail polish remover does not damage the plastic). Something else oily like lotion might also do the job.

tried vodka?

tribdog said:
because acetone burns the privates. don't worry I had the same problem. hot bath, take your time.

Ouch, that would be bad, but my problem is nothing like that.

Pythagorean said:
and what are you removing it from? Also necessary to know the material.

Okay. i spilled a bottle of super glue on a damp towel that was sat on the counter, not wanting to touch it i left it to set, not thinking it would seep through.

tribdog said:
tried vodka?

I'm inclined to suspect that was what caused all this!

haha. I've done that too. what kind of counter? if you don't have acetone your best bet is probably warm soapy water, the best cleaner you've got and elbow grease.

HallsofIvy said:
I'm inclined to suspect that was what caused all this!

Wrong :smile:, i was being ultra care full as the top had sealed to the container, so i had to use pliers to get it undone, hence the damp towel.

and the worst part of it all is you won't even get a thank you for being careful.

I found some octane booster works quite well, i have cleared about a quarter of it , it makes one a bit dizzy.

wolram said:
I found some octane booster works quite well, i have cleared about a quarter of it , it makes one a bit dizzy.
Wolram, don't get dizzy with octane booster in your hand. Are you in the kitchen?

This is what can happen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxIBk1a3qdQ&feature=related

Evo said:
Wolram, don't get dizzy with octane booster in your hand. Are you in the kitchen?

On and off, 10 mins at a time is enough, i shall have to buy another towel now, this one looks a bit sorry for its self, and this is hard work or i am getting un fitter, oh well only another bazillions of fibers to scrub off.

Aren't you ashamed of yourself? How do you get into such predicaments?

tribdog said:
Aren't you ashamed of yourself? How do you get into such predicaments?

This could happen to any one, or even worse, like some one getting it on his toddger :rolleyes:

I used full protection, bin bag, rubber gloves, eye glasses, all would have been well if the container had a stable bottom, it should be made law that super glue containers have fat bottoms.

i'm really glad i didn't suggest MEK, now, it might've destroyed the counter. wikipedia had some suggestions other than acetone, but i didn't recognize any of them as easy to obtain at the hardware store.

Acetone will disolve varnish and a variety of plastic table top surfaces. I'd experient on a remote spot before going at furnature with acetone. Orange oil might work, and it's fairly benign to mammal types without an allergy to it...

Last edited:
Phrak said:
Acetone will disolve varnish and a variety of plastic table top surfaces. I'd experient on a remote spot before going at furnature with acetone. Orange oil might work, and it's fairly benign to mammal types without an allergy to it...

The octane booster i used worked great, there is even a nice smell even after washing down with hot soapy water.

1. What are the dangers of using acetone for nail polish removal?

Acetone is a harsh chemical that can irritate the skin, eyes, and respiratory system. It can also strip the natural oils from your nails, leading to dryness and breakage. Prolonged exposure to acetone can also cause dizziness, headaches, and nausea.

2. What are some alternative ingredients for nail polish removal?

Some alternatives to acetone include rubbing alcohol, vinegar, lemon juice, and non-acetone nail polish removers. These options are generally less harsh and less damaging to the nails and skin.

3. How effective are these alternative ingredients for removing nail polish?

The effectiveness of alternative ingredients varies. Non-acetone nail polish removers may not work as quickly as acetone, but they are gentler on the nails. Rubbing alcohol, vinegar, and lemon juice may require more scrubbing or soaking, but they can still effectively remove nail polish.

4. Are there any natural alternatives to acetone for nail polish removal?

Yes, there are several natural alternatives that can be used for removing nail polish. These include coconut oil, jojoba oil, and olive oil. These oils can help hydrate and nourish the nails while also removing the polish.

5. Can I make my own DIY nail polish remover using natural ingredients?

Yes, there are many DIY recipes for nail polish removers using natural ingredients. However, it's important to note that the effectiveness of these homemade removers may vary and they may not work as quickly as store-bought removers. It's also important to properly research and follow instructions when making your own DIY nail polish remover.