Solving for g|(-1): Finding the Answer

• Thread starter Dell
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the derivative of g(x) when given y=f(x) and f'(1)=4, and g(x)=f(x^2). Through the use of the chain rule, it is determined that g'(x)=2xf'(x^2). Since x=-1, it is possible to solve for g'(-1) using the given information to be -8. The use of a single apostrophe is recommended to indicate the derivative rather than |. There is also a question about how to solve for g'(x) if a different value for x is given.
Dell
any ideas??

given:
y=f(x)
f|(1)=4
g(x)=f(x2)

find g|(-1)
------------------------------------

i know that g(-1)=g(1) because g is a squared function of x, but that's about it,
can i say-

g|(x)=[f(x2)]|=f|(x2)*(2x)

and because x=-1, and -12=1, and i know f|(1)=4
so
g|(-1)=-8

Physics news on Phys.org

Dell said:
given:
y=f(x)
f|(1)=4
g(x)=f(x2)

find g|(-1)
------------------------------------

i know that g(-1)=g(1) because g is a squared function of x, but that's about it,
can i say-

g|(x)=[f(x2)]|=f|(x2)*(2x)

and because x=-1, and -12=1, and i know f|(1)=4
so
g|(-1)=-8

Yes, this is exactly right. Good job.

Yes, that's exactly right. Although you would be better advised to use ', a single apostrophe to indicate the derivative rather than |.

thanks, is there any way i would be able to solve it if i weren't given 1 as my x?

1. What is the meaning of "Solving for g|(-1)"?

"Solving for g|(-1)" means finding the value of the variable g when the function or equation is evaluated at -1. It is essentially finding the solution to an equation or function at a specific input value.

2. How do you solve for g|(-1) in a given equation?

To solve for g|(-1), you need to plug in -1 as the input value for g in the given equation. Then, you can solve for g using algebraic manipulation or by using a calculator or computer program.

3. Why is finding the value of g|(-1) important?

Finding the value of g|(-1) can help in understanding the behavior of a function or equation at a specific input value. It can also be useful in solving real-world problems or making predictions based on mathematical models.

4. What are some methods for solving for g|(-1)?

Some methods for solving for g|(-1) include using algebraic manipulation, graphing the function or equation and finding the point at -1, or using numerical methods such as Newton's method or the bisection method.

5. Are there any common mistakes when solving for g|(-1)?

One common mistake when solving for g|(-1) is forgetting to substitute the input value of -1 into the equation or function. Other mistakes can include errors in algebraic manipulation or using the wrong method for solving. It is important to double check the solution and make sure it makes sense in the context of the problem.