• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Any ideas?

I have to give five different lectures on related topics physics for my senior seminar. I want to do something really interesting not that physics isn't interesting I just want my lectures to go over well. so does anyone have any suggestions?

why are you giving seminars?

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Neutrino Oscillations, Symmetries in physics and the detection of parity violation, Quasars & Active Galactic Nuclei, Observational findings that supports Big Bang cosmology, Electroweak unification and the Higgs Boson.

For my school ( I am not sure if this is same for other schools, I am undergrad.) we have a senior level course where we give lectures on topics in physics, it is a requirement. The Topics cant be things that we covered a lot in our classes. It is a way for us to demonstrate our knowledge of physics.

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
so what about my suggestions? ;-)

i thought people did science so they wouldnt have to talk infront of others.

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
naa you always have to give talks at conferences etc and also teach classes sometimes

malawi_glenn, thanks I liked your ideas a lot... i am considering the Quasars & Active Galactic Nuclei.

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
malawi_glenn, thanks I liked your ideas a lot... i am considering the Quasars & Active Galactic Nuclei.
cool, just tell us more what kind of level and length the presentations should be and we can give you more advices.

I can make a looooooong list if you want of things I would love to give a talk on hehe

I once gave a talk on alternative theories of cosmology, an idea which could be adapted to your needs. It's interesting to let other students know that there are credible theories other than the 'standard models'.

My talks have to be 45 minutes long and of senior or junior level, basically upper division physics students.

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
So you want more suggestions or? What are your speciality in physics? Astrophysics? Material physics? It is hard to help you if you don't help us ;-)

I just talk to my Professor for that class... we talk for while and i guess all my lectures are going to be about black holes. I just have to pick five different topic with black holes or about black holes I already have a few in mind thanks to Malawi glenn. anything else any of you can offer will be very much appreciated thanks for the help people...

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Well I think you should know more about black holes than me, but here are the topics I can think of, except AGN & quasars

Discovery of BH's: stellar and galactical,

Hawking radiation, detection in space and experiment (LHC for instance)

Black Holes as sources for gravitational radiation

Derivation of Black Holes from Einsteins eq's on GR