5 Fascinating Physics Lectures for Senior Seminar

In summary: The Big Bang and its aftermath: the cosmic microwave background, inflation, the cosmic expansionThe future of black hole research: quantum gravity, gravitational wave detection, accretion disks
spidersdaron
I have to give five different lectures on related topics physics for my senior seminar. I want to do something really interesting not that physics isn't interesting I just want my lectures to go over well. so does anyone have any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
why are you giving seminars?

Neutrino Oscillations, Symmetries in physics and the detection of parity violation, Quasars & Active Galactic Nuclei, Observational findings that supports Big Bang cosmology, Electroweak unification and the Higgs Boson.

For my school ( I am not sure if this is same for other schools, I am undergrad.) we have a senior level course where we give lectures on topics in physics, it is a requirement. The Topics can't be things that we covered a lot in our classes. It is a way for us to demonstrate our knowledge of physics.

so what about my suggestions? ;-)

i thought people did science so they wouldn't have to talk infront of others.

naa you always have to give talks at conferences etc and also teach classes sometimes

Okki2 said:
i thought people did science so they wouldn't have to talk infront of others.

couldn't be further from the truth

malawi_glenn, thanks I liked your ideas a lot... i am considering the Quasars & Active Galactic Nuclei.

spidersdaron said:
malawi_glenn, thanks I liked your ideas a lot... i am considering the Quasars & Active Galactic Nuclei.

cool, just tell us more what kind of level and length the presentations should be and we can give you more advices.

I can make a looooooong list if you want of things I would love to give a talk on hehe

I once gave a talk on alternative theories of cosmology, an idea which could be adapted to your needs. It's interesting to let other students know that there are credible theories other than the 'standard models'.

My talks have to be 45 minutes long and of senior or junior level, basically upper division physics students.

So you want more suggestions or? What are your speciality in physics? Astrophysics? Material physics? It is hard to help you if you don't help us ;-)

I just talk to my Professor for that class... we talk for while and i guess all my lectures are going to be about black holes. I just have to pick five different topic with black holes or about black holes I already have a few in mind thanks to Malawi glenn. anything else any of you can offer will be very much appreciated thanks for the help people...

Well I think you should know more about black holes than me, but here are the topics I can think of, except AGN & quasars

Discovery of BH's: stellar and galactical,

Hawking radiation, detection in space and experiment (LHC for instance)

Black Holes as sources for gravitational radiation

Derivation of Black Holes from Einsteins eq's on GR

What topics are covered in these physics lectures?

The 5 fascinating physics lectures for senior seminar cover a range of topics including quantum mechanics, relativity, thermodynamics, electromagnetic fields, and particle physics.

Who are the speakers for these lectures?

The speakers for these lectures are renowned physicists and researchers from top universities such as MIT, Caltech, and Harvard.

Are these lectures suitable for non-physics majors?

While these lectures are geared towards senior physics students, they are also suitable for non-physics majors who have a basic understanding of physics concepts and are interested in learning more about the subject.

Will these lectures be accessible online?

Yes, these lectures will be available online for free, allowing anyone with an internet connection to access them.

What makes these lectures fascinating and engaging for senior seminar students?

These lectures are designed to be thought-provoking and engaging, presenting complex physics concepts in a clear and understandable manner. They also touch on current research and advancements in the field, making them relevant and exciting for senior seminar students.