Any industry jobs for physics grads requiring no programming?

In summary: That was before personal computers, let alone any kind of programming. So my experience is limited to theoretical work, not anything practical.* Another caveat is that I have been out of the workforce for 30 years. So my skills may not be as current as someone who is currently working in industry.* However, I think most of these jobs would consider a PhD over-qualified for the job. With one exception, every RSO I worked with had a PhD. The exception spent a zillion years in the Navy doing that.In summary, a PhD in high energy physics is not a prerequisite to finding a job in industry, but having a PhD will give you an advantage over someone without a PhD. However
Dr Transport said:
I would doubt that without a valid visa or other work documentation, you'll have a hard time gettijng an interview let alone a job offer. I can't offer anything more on the subject.
Do you believe that what you wrote above applies specifically to "a tenure track job in community or small colleges" (the OP's expressed intent), or to any job in general? It doesn't apply at least to many jobs in industry. I've known many international students in the US who applied for industry jobs in the US while on their student visas prior to graduation. Once accepted to a position, they've worked via the OPT (followed by the H-1B) route; or, in some instances, directly via the H-1B route.

Last edited:
Likes sysprog and ParlorPink
Physics news on Phys.org
CrysPhys said:
Do you believe that what you wrote above applies specifically to "a tenure track job in community or small colleges" (the OP's expressed intent), or to any job in general? It doesn't apply at least to many jobs in industry. I've known many international students in the US who applied for industry jobs in the US while on their student visas prior to graduation. Once accepted to a position, they've worked via the OPT (followed by the H-1B) route; or, in some instances, directly via the H-1B route.
I have applied to over 60 colleges for teaching jobs in the last two months. It turns out many colleges and small universities do provide H-1B for lecturers and instructors, even for non-tenure track jobs. When they don't sponsor visa, they will state in the application system.

Likes sysprog
ParlorPink said:
I have applied to over 60 colleges for teaching jobs in the last two months. It turns out many colleges and small universities do provide H-1B for lecturers and instructors, even for non-tenure track jobs. When they don't sponsor visa, they will state in the application system.
Hey, thanks for the update. And good luck to you!

Likes ParlorPink and sysprog