Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Any Iron Chef fans?

1. Jun 11, 2005 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

A few years ago I discovered the "Iron Chef" program on the Food Network. I have been addicted ever since.

The show is funny, informative, fast paced, and interesting. I love it. Why did they stop making new shows? :cry:

I have learned so much about Japanese food and culture, it's been a real eye opener. I wish I had seen this show before I went to Japan, I would have done so many things differently.

Does anyone else here watch it?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 11, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2005 #2
    I love the narraters, the female one just cracks me up. I must confess to stealing more than a few ideas from the show, mostly in how the food is presented. Its food art at its finest :smile: .

4. Jun 11, 2005 #3

JamesU

Gold Member

I've seen it once or twice. it's okay...kinda...

5. Jun 11, 2005 #4
    Is that the one where the chinese guy bites a big chunk of a bell pepper in either the beginning or end of the show? I found that pretty hilarious!

6. Jun 11, 2005 #5

Evo

Yes, that's the show, except he's Japanese. It's a very funny show.

7. Jun 11, 2005 #6
    Right, Japanese - that's what I meant... :uhh: heehee

And it is pretty funny, now that I remember...I really like the dubbed-in voices of the taste testers....

8. Jun 11, 2005 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

When I had cable TV, years ago, I watched it. It was one of the few things on cable that made it worth having. :biggrin: I agree, it was a really addictive show. I'm not sure I really learned anything from it, but it was fun to watch.

9. Jun 11, 2005 #8

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

They have a new americanized version of iron chef hosted by Alton Brown. The season already ended but i'm sure they will have new episodes in the next couple of months.

10. Jun 11, 2005 #9

DocToxyn

Science Advisor

I love that show, I've even got a T-shirt. It's got all the battle ingredients listed on the back like a concert T-shirt. Part of the fun was glimpse into a different culture if afforded, plus the food looked great, although I could never eat turtle :frown:. The new American version is pretty good, but not the same. Alton Brown's commentary is spot-on and the food looks good, but it just doesn't have the same appeal. Also the other knock-off they tried to make with William Shatner was too horrible to even laugh at. Allez Cuisine! :approve:

11. Jun 11, 2005 #10
    My favorite is IC Sakai. Anyone that has watched the show for any length of time has seen him peel an apple in like 5 seconds. He seems so happy to be there strutting his stuff. I particularly like it when they make a sorbet out of odd things like SEAFOOD!! :surprised

I saw one episode where a camera assistant didn't move the right way and one of the chefs spilled some soup or something and the look on the poor guys face was like :cry: DAMN! Not only did I get hot liquid all over me but I'll probably get fired AND get a proper "beat-down" as well. Love the show....did I mention I absolutely despise Bobby Flay. Well I do.

On the Japanese version when the tasters don't like something they are so polite as expected. On the American version I've actually heard them say things like "I didn't like this" and the look on the chefs face was "BURN IN HELL I ONLY HAD AN HOUR YOU HEIFER, YOU TRY MAKING A SAVORY ENTREE OUT OF CHOCOLATE!"

Did I mention I despise Bobby Flay? Then again I can't really cook and I'm not rich and famous either.

I like BBQ-U and Cooking with the CIA as well.

12. Jun 11, 2005 #11

Evo

Bobby Flay :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck:

I love Alton Brown, but Iron Chef American just is not as good. The main problem is exactly what you said Echo 6, the tasters have no class. The comments by the tasting panel is what made the original so great and this one is lacking that element. How can the producers not get that? Also, the five course requirement is ridiculous, quantity over quality????

Don't even mention that Shatner debaucle. :surprised

DT - I saw the show were they had turtles...I had to change the channel. :frown:

13. Jun 11, 2005 #12

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I can't imagine an Americanized version of Iron Chef. Most of its appeal is that it's infused with Japanese culture.

14. Jun 11, 2005 #13

Evo

Just be glad that you missed the version with William Shatner (Captain Kirk) in it.

What the hell were they thinking????

15. Jun 11, 2005 #14

Danger

Gold Member

Can I consider myself an 'iron chef' because you need an iron stomach to eat my cooking? :redface:

16. Jun 11, 2005 #15

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Shatner? That sounds awful. How can you...have someone host...Iron Chef...who pauses so...often...while speaking? :tongue: It needs to be fast paced!

17. Jun 11, 2005 #16

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Iron Chef was almost addictive. Used to be a time when I'd watch it around once a week...not anymore. And if you like Alton Brown, watch Good Eats.

18. Jun 11, 2005 #17

Evo

I love Good Eats!!!

I think I've seen every Iron Chef show at least twice, so I don't watch as religiously as I did when they were new (here).

Alton

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 11, 2005
  19. Jun 11, 2005 #18
    Sorry, but I'm going on a slant for a min....Wasn't there an English cooking show one time called "2 Fat Broads" or something to that effect. I vaguely remember them riding a motorcycle with a sidecar and drinking more wine during their show than Julia Childs(RIP) and Justin Wilson(RIP also) put together. Whatever happened to the Galloping Gourmet? PBS here used to have a show where a Franciscan Monk baked just about every known kind of bread on the show and would have a portion of the show dedicated to a certain culture's "typical" bread and would sometimes have a guest demonstrate their technique. More often than not, that portion was taped like Ntnl Geographic.

One more glass of Port and it's beddie-bye for me. :approve: :zzz:

20. Jun 12, 2005 #19

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think it was "Two Fat Ladies," but I'm not sure now. I know what show you're talking about though. Very funny, but I sure wouldn't try anything they cooked on that show! :yuck: :rofl: It seemed the theme was to just add more fat!

I loved that show. I was just taking up bread-making around the time I first saw that show, so I was really appreciative of learning things like how to make cute shapes and stuff like that. He was pretty funny too - would say things I would not have expected from a monk...nothing bad, but just cracking jokes about the other brothers' eating habits and stuff like that.

21. Jun 12, 2005 #20

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

When I moved out of the dorms (thereby leaving behind the college meal plan) and got my first apartment, The Food Network saved my life.

That's no exaggeration, I would have starved without them! :bugeye:

My favorite shows then: Grillin' and Chillin', Ruggerio to Go, From Martha's Kitchen (Laugh at me, and I'll ban your ass. :mad: She had a killer pierogie recipe! :biggrin: )

My favorite shows now: Boy Meets Grill, Everyday Italian, Paula's Kitchen (or whatever it's called), and Good Eats.

To tell you the truth, I've never watched Iron Chef :redface: because I was never interested in a cooking game show. But maybe I'll check it out now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?