Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Any Lost fans here?

1. May 11, 2010 #1
    The show is going to be wrapping up soon. It's one of the few television programs I enjoyed. Any fans here? Or do people get too turned off by the scientific wackiness?

2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2010 #2
    I have never watched it but I became somewhat interested recently when I found references to it in a game I was playing. Until I then I never even knew what it was about. I thought it was just a modernized Gilligan's Island.

4. May 12, 2010 #3

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In the course of a single year, I watched the first 4 seasons on DVD. THis allowed me to fast forward through a lot of filler, but subsequently I think I may have missed a few things. Nonetheless, It started to annoy me in the 3rd & 4th season , yet I still watched.

Through the last couple of "half-seasons" I had been waiting a day after broadcast and watching it streaming (fewer commercials). But the last two weeks I have been tuning in for the broadcast. That must mean something, and I think I know what it is...

I currently have more time on Tuesdays than Wednesdays.

But I like many other "hooked" have to see how they resolve this business. It will either be the most amazing achievement of reticulated plot weaving ever accomplished, or a cheap Deus ex machina cop out.

Or something in-between. Deus ex machina seems to be leading at this point, but we'll see. There has been plenty of genius demonstrated along the way, and boldness too. How can a show survive after killing off so many "favorite" characters?

I do not have the ability to not follow it so close to the end, but I will be glad when it is over.

Actually it appears to be "Dei ex machina," right?

5. May 12, 2010 #4

Averagesupernova

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I was hooked right away. There were a couple seasons that were a slight disappointment but I still like it. As for the scientific wackiness? There isn't hardly ANYTHING on TV that isn't weak in that area. Mainly there isn't anything else on TV like it and I don't care for 99% of what else is on TV.

6. May 12, 2010 #5
    That's what I thought too (more or less a rip-off of lord of the flies with some sci-fi elements and reality show drama), and I had never bothered to watch it. After many people had told me it was the best thing ever, I watched the first five seasons on the internet, and I have to say I was wrong, it's pretty great.

I think it's the kind of thing that is actually better viewing on the internet, since it's a serialized story. Watching it week to week can be kind of frustrating, waiting for resolutions of mysteries that don't come (or come eventually, but as more of a deal where by the time something is "revealed", it has become incrementally obvious in a sort of ambiguous way.)

It's also very well scripted, as watching from the beginning, it's clear that most things were plotted far in advance and they are not just "making it up" as they go along.

7. May 12, 2010 #6

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

HUGE fan of Lost right here :biggrin: Followed the show since season 2. I think the wackiness is perfect for the setting.

8. May 12, 2010 #7

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In the last episode, it seems they were loudly touting that fact, when they overlapped the scene from the 3rd episode, 6 years ago, as if to say:

"Remember that bag with the two stones? Yeah? Next to the skeletons? Forgot about it didn't you? Well, here's what they are!"

9. May 12, 2010 #8

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I doubt that anyone who has really followed the show had forgotten about it. The "black and White" theme seems to recur quite a bit in the show. For instance: later that same season, Claire sees Locke in a dream and he has one white and one black eye.

10. May 12, 2010 #9

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

I totally forgot about that scene!! Speaking of Claire, I am still wondering what her huge significance might be?? She and Desmond...??

11. May 12, 2010 #10
    i've watched it a few times, but never became a "fan". the writers have given themselves the easy out of magic. star trek writers started doing this with time travel, and for me it just gets incoherent after a while. it's OK for X-Files where most episodes are kind of their own self-contained story, but for anything much bigger than that it gets tiresome.

12. May 13, 2010 #11
    It was curious that "Locke" didn't mind her not getting on the sub. Maybe she wasn't a candidate?

13. May 13, 2010 #12
    I actually found this idea to be very compelling. One of the central themes, which was made pretty explicit by the last epeisode, is the conflict between a faith based view of the world and a more materialist based view. The "energy" that is the route of the island's unusual properties is described, depending on the point of view of the characters, as either a mystical force or a strange electromagnetic phenomenon. Either way, the desire to understand it, possess it, or use it for one's own ends is equally corrupting.

There is also the motif of the faithful trying to "guard" the hidden knowlegde from those who understand it. The roles of Jacob versus the other brother become more complex, as it's not in fact, a simple tale of black versus white, but of two competing world views, originally personified by Jack vs. Locke, who now after six years have switched roles in a sense.

14. May 13, 2010 #13

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No, she wasn't, or at least wasn't one anymore. She was a candidate, but her name was crossed out, as was Kate's.

15. May 14, 2010 #14
    This is pretty much how I feel about it too. The first season opened a lot of questions, but the plot made sense. That kept me watching. Then somewhere in the third season, after the hatch exploded all the weirdness started to take over. I'm also dreading a "Deus ex machina" ending. The writers of BSG did that and it seemed to leave the conclusion hanging unattached to the story. An ending that leaves a big question mark is ok with me, but not a story that falls flat. At this point I'll stay tuned just to see what they do with it.

16. May 14, 2010 #15

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, according to the creators, at least some questions will be left open at the conclusion of the series.

17. May 24, 2010 #16

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, it wasn't "A."

If by "some," you mean "essentially all," then that's right.

18. May 24, 2010 #17
    No offence, it's american made so therefore it'll be a cop out.

If found this (almost) universally to be the case with a lot of shows for a number of reasons.

1. They keep it going too long. "leave them wanting more" is the best idea ever for a show. However for the tv people this means there is still some cash to be squeezed from the show. So you end up with a ravaged husk, that people start to lose interest in.

2. The 20odd episode format makes it quite hard to keep an interesting pace. You get cracking episodes, but you also get really naff ones.

3. American tv execs seem to think that you guys are all thick as...well that you need to be held by the hand. In most series, everything is neatly wrapped up for 'closure'. Or they go too far the other way and leave everything completely up in the air (I'd go as far as saying the ending seemed rushed together), they havent seemed to have found a happy medium.

I can't even think of any particular examples, I can jsut remember the feelings I have when a show ends.

EDIT: Didn't read the entire thread, so has it ended now? And was it any good?

Last edited: May 24, 2010
  19. May 24, 2010 #18

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yep, all over, thank god.

"Was it any good?"

Well, it wasn't completely "bad," but it certainly did not live up to the potential set by the first two seasons. In fact, it seemed to be the finale to a different show; there was LOST:the first two seasons" then "LOST: leading up to the finale."

20. May 24, 2010 #19

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

I would have to agree with that. It would seem that the ending wasn't really known until after the show was on for a few years and the writers went with some direction.

The ending wasn't what I hoped, but still left me pondering for hours about possibilities and maybes.

21. May 24, 2010 #20
    My roommate was just watching the final episode, when about a few minutes in it I heard a loud "SERIOUSLY?!??!?!?!?" - when I checked with him he was no longer watching it, said it was simply too lame to waste time.

I've been watching the first season, but the show got worse and worse, those are the risks of having to figure out things on the run instead of having a solid script from start to end...

I might say "LOST" lost me pretty quickly :)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook