1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Any luck with online tutoring?

1. Apr 27, 2012 #1
    I'm looking to tutor this summer - but my options are pretty limited since I don't have real transportation at the moment. I live 2 miles from my campus, but they don't need me over the summer.

I'm wondering about online places like tutor.com. Are they any good? I'm always suspicious of "online jobs" and "make money from home."

I could also do a craigslist ad and offer to do it over Skype or something, but I'm not sure how effective any of this is without face to face contact.

It's possible I just need to get my car fixed. :devil:

-DaveK

p.s. I'm talking for math, btw. I'm not sure how conducive it is to online work.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2012 #2
    I think that people who struggle with math and need tutors wouldn't really benefit as much from an online tutor. Especially depending on what level of Math you're working with.

I have a tutor for my Calculus II course and sometimes I don't even understand things with him sitting there right next to me and pointing stuff out.

Also, I think many schools offer free tutoring so I'm not sure how much the online tutors get hired, but I imagine that not a lot.

4. Apr 28, 2012 #3
    My university offers free tutoring, but I'm targeting mostly high school kids this summer, since it'll be my first foray into tutoring. This fall I'll be working in my universities tutoring center, doing calc I and II.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook