Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Any marathoners out there?

1. Oct 19, 2003 #1
    Thought I had permanently sworn off that kind of self-mutilation after I messed up my knee last winter.

But I just put on the tv a little while ago & came across coverage of today's Chicago Marathon. As usual, it was totally dominated by the Kenyans (on the men's side at least). Those guys are amazing!

I'm definitely feeling the urge again (not that the Kenyans have anything to worry about).
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2003 #2
    I would love to train for a marthon. Just to finish it would be an accomplishment.
  4. Oct 19, 2003 #3
    I doubt I could even run a mile straight nowadays... Don't smoke.
  5. Oct 19, 2003 #4
    I have been thinking about doing one, im 17 and i run x-country during the fall and track in the spring... My mile is 4:50, my 5k is 18:00, so it think with a few weeks of focused marathon training, i could finish one.
  6. Oct 19, 2003 #5
    26 miles? Yeah I'd do it. I'd do it just to intimidate the Kenyan for the first 1-2 miles...maybe have someone get a video clip of me sprinting past him/her at some point. After that I'd be satisfied and probably light jog/walk the rest of it.

We're in the same boat. I wore out my knee last fall running X-country in HS. I havn't done any extensive running since then. Looking back on that season really makes me miss it. The 3-6 mile 'fun' runs each day for practise were a great workout.

Anyway...I think I'd need to devote myself to a good physical therapy regimen before I could even come close to pulling off a full marathon.
  7. Oct 19, 2003 #6
    Hah hah hah! I'd love to see that.
    Yo Rock, are/were you really that fast? The Kenyan guy who won Chicago this morning averaged about 4:48 for the entire 26.2 miles. The first few miles, they were probably doing about 4:30. Do you really think they'd be intimidated by you? Do you think you could keep up with the frontrunners for 1-2 blocks, never mind 1-2 miles???
  8. Oct 19, 2003 #7
    I was a fast sprinter. I was only slightly above avg in long distance. Twords the end of the season, but before my knee started acting up, I could pull a 4:30-5 min. mile and an 18 min. 5k.

If the Kenyan was really doing 4:30min. miles at the beginning... maybe I could show him up for the first mile, but then I'd start crapping out. If I ever actually did that, and plannd to keep up with the Kenyan for the first mile, the following 25 miles would be hell on earth. Not worth it!
  9. Oct 20, 2003 #8
    Nice, Rock. That's a lot faster than me.

Well, NYC marathon is coming up 11/2. The Kenyans are waiting for you.

10. Oct 20, 2003 #9
    Lol that would be hilarious... Although he would definately get the last laugh when he passed you at 2k while you were huffing and puffing. Still, I would do it. Maybe even chat with them a little bit and psych them out. maybe something along the lines of "is this the fastest you can go? man, and you get paid for this? Dont quit your day job... Welp, seeya later, ive got a race to win"

Anyone see the simpsons where bart enters the last 100 meters of the race and wins it?
  11. Oct 20, 2003 #10

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I ruined my knees [once and for all] running. At my peak I could have never kept up with the Kenyans, but I could kick butt on the Somoans.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?