Ready to lace up and race with the Kenyans?

• Thread starter gnome
  • Start date
In summary: RockazellaI ruined my knees [once and for all] running. At my peak I could have never kept up with the Kenyans, but I could kick butt on the Somoans.I was a fast sprinter. I was only slightly above avg in long distance. Twords the end of the season, but before my knee started acting up, I could pull a 4:30-5 min. mile and an 18 min. 5k.If the Kenyan was really doing 4:30min. miles at the beginning... maybe I could show him up for the first mile, but then I'd start crapping out. If I ever actually did that, and plan
gnome
Thought I had permanently sworn off that kind of self-mutilation after I messed up my knee last winter.

But I just put on the tv a little while ago & came across coverage of today's Chicago Marathon. As usual, it was totally dominated by the Kenyans (on the men's side at least). Those guys are amazing!

I'm definitely feeling the urge again (not that the Kenyans have anything to worry about).

Physics news on Phys.org
I would love to train for a marthon. Just to finish it would be an accomplishment.

I doubt I could even run a mile straight nowadays... Don't smoke.

I have been thinking about doing one, I am 17 and i run x-country during the fall and track in the spring... My mile is 4:50, my 5k is 18:00, so it think with a few weeks of focused marathon training, i could finish one.

26 miles? Yeah I'd do it. I'd do it just to intimidate the Kenyan for the first 1-2 miles...maybe have someone get a video clip of me sprinting past him/her at some point. After that I'd be satisfied and probably light jog/walk the rest of it.

Thought I had permanently sworn off that kind of self-mutilation after I messed up my knee last winter.
I'm definitely feeling the urge again

We're in the same boat. I wore out my knee last fall running X-country in HS. I havn't done any extensive running since then. Looking back on that season really makes me miss it. The 3-6 mile 'fun' runs each day for practise were a great workout.

Anyway...I think I'd need to devote myself to a good physical therapy regimen before I could even come close to pulling off a full marathon.

originally posted by Rockazella
Yeah I'd do it. I'd do it just to intimidate the Kenyan for the first 1-2 miles...maybe have someone get a video clip of me sprinting past him/her at some point.
Hah hah hah! I'd love to see that.
Yo Rock, are/were you really that fast? The Kenyan guy who won Chicago this morning averaged about 4:48 for the entire 26.2 miles. The first few miles, they were probably doing about 4:30. Do you really think they'd be intimidated by you? Do you think you could keep up with the frontrunners for 1-2 blocks, never mind 1-2 miles?

Yo Rock, are/were you really that fast? The Kenyan guy who won Chicago this morning averaged about 4:48 for the entire 26.2 miles. The first few miles, they were probably doing about 4:30. Do you really think they'd be intimidated by you? Do you think you could keep up with the frontrunners for 1-2 blocks, never mind 1-2 miles?

I was a fast sprinter. I was only slightly above avg in long distance. Twords the end of the season, but before my knee started acting up, I could pull a 4:30-5 min. mile and an 18 min. 5k.

If the Kenyan was really doing 4:30min. miles at the beginning... maybe I could show him up for the first mile, but then I'd start crapping out. If I ever actually did that, and plannd to keep up with the Kenyan for the first mile, the following 25 miles would be hell on earth. Not worth it!

Nice, Rock. That's a lot faster than me.

Well, NYC marathon is coming up 11/2. The Kenyans are waiting for you.

:wink:

Lol that would be hilarious... Although he would definitely get the last laugh when he passed you at 2k while you were huffing and puffing. Still, I would do it. Maybe even chat with them a little bit and psych them out. maybe something along the lines of "is this the fastest you can go? man, and you get paid for this? Dont quit your day job... Welp, seeya later, I've got a race to win"

Anyone see the simpsons where bart enters the last 100 meters of the race and wins it?

Originally posted by gnome

But I just put on the tv a little while ago & came across coverage of today's Chicago Marathon. As usual, it was totally dominated by the Kenyans (on the men's side at least). Those guys are amazing!

I'm definitely feeling the urge again (not that the Kenyans have anything to worry about).

I ruined my knees [once and for all] running. At my peak I could have never kept up with the Kenyans, but I could kick butt on the Somoans.

1. What is a marathon?

A marathon is a long-distance running race that covers a distance of 26.2 miles (42.2 kilometers). It is typically held on roads and is considered one of the most challenging and prestigious events in the running world.

2. How long does it take to train for a marathon?

The length of time it takes to train for a marathon varies depending on an individual's fitness level and previous running experience. Generally, it is recommended to train for at least 16-20 weeks before attempting a marathon.

3. What are some tips for running a marathon?

Some tips for running a marathon include: setting realistic goals, following a training plan, staying hydrated and properly fueling your body, wearing comfortable and appropriate gear, and listening to your body to prevent injury.

4. How can I prepare for a marathon?

To prepare for a marathon, it is important to gradually increase your mileage and incorporate strength training and cross-training into your routine. It is also helpful to participate in shorter races and practice proper nutrition and hydration strategies.

5. Are there any health risks associated with running a marathon?

While running a marathon can have many health benefits, there are also potential risks. These include dehydration, heat exhaustion, and overuse injuries. It is important to listen to your body and consult with a medical professional if you have any concerns.