Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Any math I can teach myself?

1. Oct 28, 2012 #1
    I'm currently attending cc planning to transfer for a BS in math. However, due to poor planning, all my general ed is finished, but I still need a lot of math. Next semester, I'll be taking pre-cal and either stat or comp sci. With such a light course load, is there any more advanced math I should start teaching myself? Or anything else I should start working on to give myself a leg up in future classes? Kind feels like I'll be slacking off only taking two classes.
    Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2012 #2
    Learning this book along with pre-calc would be useful to a future math degree.
    https://www.amazon.com/Basic-Mathem...=1351474262&sr=8-1&keywords=basic+mathematics

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  4. Oct 28, 2012 #3
    Thanks, seems perfect for me.

5. Oct 28, 2012 #4

MarneMath

Education Advisor

Also, I would recommend you read the famous book by Richard Courant "What is Mathematics?" Even if you don't understand everything or can't solve any of the problems, I think the insight provided just by being exposed to the material would be beneficial to any future math major.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook