Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Any metrologists out there?

1. Apr 18, 2008 #1
    My specific questions relate to stacking tolerances and accuracy ratio of 4:1.

Lets say I have a J thermocouple with a tolerance of 2deg C. That feeds a readout that has a tolerance of 1deg C. My reference standard has a tolerance of 0.5 degC.

My job is to compare the readout to the standard. Would I use +/-3deg C as my tolerance? And as long as that is at least four time less accurate than my standard may I assume I have a 4:1 accuracy ratio? I think the answer is yes.

My second question regards balances. How do I determine a reasonable tolerance that includes its surrounding environment using readabilility,linearity & repeatability?

I've seen several formulas Like 2*sqrt(readability2 +linearity2). My company uses: sqrt(readability2 +linearity2) which is really tight for an environment that is breezy, with 10 deg temp variations, and some vibration.

Looking foward to responses. Thank you in advance.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted