Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Any more earths?

1. Apr 9, 2009 #1
    any more earths???

like earth, will the other planets makes organic evolution in the near future???

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2009 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Re: any more earths???

Unlikely. Conditions on the other planets in our solar system are not favorable toward life.

4. Apr 9, 2009 #3

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Look up the "Goldilocks Zone". It refers to the stellar systemic zone in which planets can harbour water-based life. Earth is the only one in it. Mars is right on the edge.

5. Apr 24, 2009 #4

can we create artificial organic evolution in other planets?

6. Apr 24, 2009 #5

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Evolution of living organisms is a process that occurs at a snail's pace in human terms. We would not see much in the way of results in the lifetimes of the people involved.

7. Apr 24, 2009 #6

Just to pose an idea, would it ever be possible in theory to detonate several nukes on mars to blow it into the goldilocks zone?

8. Apr 24, 2009 #7

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Nukes wouldn't be the answer, you'd use a method that slow and gradual.

But the problem is that, Mars at that distance would perturb the Earth's orbit and the two orbit might not be stable.

9. Apr 25, 2009 #8

What kind of gradual force would you suggest?

10. Apr 25, 2009 #9

DaveC426913

Gold Member

We're fantasizing here, right? I mean, we're talking about moving worlds.
    This needs to be stated because PF has an "overly-speculative posts" policy.

Anyway, you'd do something like this:

Put a low impulse, long-running engine like an ion engine or VASIMR engine on an asteroid.
    Use the engine to move the asteroid into Mars orbit.
    Move the asteroid using the engine, Mars will follow.

Read up on "Gravity Tug".

11. Apr 25, 2009 #10

The Kepler Mission was recently launched. The goal of this program is to search for earth-like planets in the so called goldilocks zone. However, this would only demonstrate that a particular planet is at the correct distance from it's sun to allow the possibility for organic life to occur on that planet. It would be miles from proof for actual life on that planet.

12. Apr 26, 2009 #11

Fantasy of course.

That's a brilliant idea to use an orbitting asteroid to slowly tug at the planet its orbitting.

13. Apr 27, 2009 #12

wolram

Gold Member

If you calculate how many particles there are in the U then suppose they can create an Earth the probability comes to zero we are an enigma. the drake equation is just so bogus

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  14. May 3, 2009 #13

First off I'm not entirely sure what you mean because your grammar is lacking some commas. Secondly, by creating an Earth do you mean a particle for particle verbatim copy of the Earth? Then I would agree, even though I've not done the math, so its merely a gut instinct. But, I would say there is a very high probability that there are many planets very similar to the Earth in size, elemental composition, proximity to star, moon orbits and atmospheric conditions. There are other factors indeed, but in my opinion if you have these basic components mimicing (sp?) the Earth, then the planet would likely host or be suitable for hosting life.

Where do you get the # of particles in the Universe from? This also assumes a static universe, which we observe as false and it assumes nothing beyond the observational horizon which is a moot point, but still must be lightly considered.

15. Jun 17, 2009 #14
    Why air does not go out of the earth plenit while air pressure is low out side

16. Jun 17, 2009 #15

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Gravity! There is no force pulling it away from the earth.

17. Jun 17, 2009 #16

DaveC426913

Gold Member

There was a SciAm article on this a few years back. If we posit an unending universe, then it is easily calculable how far we'd have to go to find an identical Earth. It was a surprisingly short distance, something like 10^150 metres.

18. Jun 19, 2009 #17

You missed an exponent. That was Max Tegmark's paper for SciAm and the minimum he quoted was 10^10^26 metres i.e. a double exponential.

19. Jun 19, 2009 #18

DaveC426913

Gold Member

OK, that's a little bit farther...:tongue:

20. Aug 19, 2009 #19

Life in the galaxy?

If one surveys stars, and their planetary systems, of 4.5 - 5 Byrs old; and then detects terrestrial exoplanet of say 1.5 earth masses, then one probably still has a magnetosphere - if we are typical (Copernican Principle). And if in habitat zone, then also look for oxygen signature in atmosphere, from very far distance (lyrs). So if photosynthesis for such a long time of 5 Byrs (stromatalites 3.5 Byrs ago for us), then would there be some probability of a species developing culture? Then consider large numbers fall out for our galaxy of 100-200 B stars.

21. Aug 21, 2009 #20

Well it sounds like a nice and fuzzy idea but I cringe when people do probabilistic calculations with data sets that are incomplete and admittedly inaccurate. Don't they have better things to do? :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook