Any Members of Fraternal Organizations Here?

• Thread starter Gabrielle
  • Start date
In summary, Freemasonry seems like a cultish organization with a lot of secrecy surrounding it. Membership has dwindled in recent years, likely because there are so many other things to do.
Gabrielle
I never gave fraternal organizations much thought until lately when I came across some titles in the bookstore about freemasonry. There seems to be something cultish about freemasonry. Why are they so secretive? They're known as the word's oldest secret society. There are so many of these organizations and I wondered if membership has dwindled since there are so many other things these days to keep people occupied.

Does anyone belong to any of these fraternal or military organizations?

• Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks
  • Fraternal Order of Eagles
  • Freemasonry or The Order of Free and Accepted Masons
  • Order of the Eastern Star (Branch of the Masons for Men & Women)
  • The Shrine of North America (Shriners)
  • Independent Order of Odd Fellows (Rebekahs for Women)
  • Kiwanis International
  • Knights of Columbus
  • Lions Club International
  • Jaycees
  • Rotary International
  • The Grange
  • Veterans of Foreign Wars
  • The American Legion
These are just a few. Anyone here belong to any of these organizations? I'd join but I'm afraid that someone would always be asking me to bake a pie or something. Just kidding.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I've heard just a few stories which cast some of these organizations in a light somewhere between a college fraternity and "Our Thing". There are rumors of initiations, oaths of loyalty and secrecy, activities behind closed doors that would be objected to by the general public. I've heard rumors the Masons are actively anti-christian, or, at least, anti-Catholic, in an over-the-top kind of way, having a ritual where they spit on a cross and renounce any belief in Christ, or Christianity. There's a Mafia-like "once in, you can't get out" tone to these stories.

It seems to me, whatever the truth is, that all their numbers are dwindling, which is probably a function of it being harder and harder to recruit new members. Back in the day when just about everyone was married and had a kid by age 20 there was probably a lot of appeal to a men's club where you got out of the house and into the adult equivalent of the treehouse club.

My aunt is a freemason and she is quite religious :bugeye:

The Lions club does really good things for the kids in our area..from medical emergencies, to just a fun day at the zoo. They still sponcer leader dogs for the blind here too.
The VFW..is still a good place for vets to hang out, and many often help the local neighborhoods.
The Jaycee's are still directing young adults in the business world, and they have a wicked haunted house in the fall.
The Shriners here raise thousands of dollars that they use for children who have suffered burns, often relocating famlies, or providing transportation, so the parents can be near the child.

The Eagles Clubs here are a drinking club ..oh yea and they shoot pool too. A good place to hang out for dollar drinks.

Gabrielle said:
I'd join but I'm afraid that someone would always be asking me to bake a pie or something. Just kidding.
:rofl:

I don't belong to any clubs that I can talk about. While my grandfather was building his church, he held services at one of the local American Legion places. Nice people.

Gabrielle said:

Yes...

jimmy p said:
My aunt is a freemason and she is quite religious :bugeye:

Your aunt must belong to the Order of the Eastern Star? I understand both men and women can belong to that organization.

Royal Canadian Legion for me. In fact, I'm on the Executive. I'm one of the younger members at 50, although there are a few in their 20's and 30's. Some of the cadets will probably join when they're old enough, but it's tough recruiting new members. We have lots of people who come in for sports activities, though. Our town darts, curling and pool leagues all have teams based there.

My greatfather was a freemason and he was also a poltican...

My grandfather was asked to join the freemasons, but he didn't like the sound of it, so he turned the guy down.

Gabrielle said:

• Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks
  • Fraternal Order of Eagles
  • Freemasonry or The Order of Free and Accepted Masons
  • Order of the Eastern Star (Branch of the Masons for Men & Women)
  • The Shrine of North America (Shriners)
  • Independent Order of Odd Fellows (Rebekahs for Women)
  • Kiwanis International
  • Knights of Columbus
  • Lions Club International
  • Jaycees
  • Rotary International
  • The Grange
  • Veterans of Foreign Wars
  • The American Legion
These are just a few. Anyone here belong to any of these organizations? I'd join but I'm afraid that someone would always be asking me to bake a pie or something. Just kidding.
I'd tell yer, but then I'd have to kill ya. :grumpy:

I used to be in the National Honors Society. How's that? I'm in my elite zombie hunting team, [TW] and {SSM} on Halo PC, and am a devoted member of PF, and WIKIPEDIA! YI YI! On wikipedia I'm on the counter-vandalism team, and in esperenza! Oh, and I'd be on the anti-PETA foreign legion as soon as possible.

Last edited:
Freemasonry is a religion in itself. They believe in a "savior" named Hiram Abiff, who was mentioned in the Bible like 3 times. Once you have moved up the levels in the organization (called degrees), you will discover this. A whole lot more hard work including memorization of phrases to help identify other masons and also just for traditional masonic knowledge, and many oaths and esoteric rituals, and you may even be told the name of the God that masons worship. It's kind of like Scientology, you have to put in a bunch of hard work in order to show how loyal you are in order to be givin the "next layer" of knowledge as to what the heck the religion is about; kind of like a pay as you go type deal. You can leave whenever you want, and there is a ritual that you have to participate in upon leaving (for mansonry). Oh yeah, the name of the masonic god is jahbulon; it is a scorpion with three heads, one human, one a cat's head, and one... I can't remember right now...

I'm a card-carrying memember of the Illuminati

May god have mercy on your genitals.

1. What is a fraternal organization?

A fraternal organization is a group or society that is formed for the purpose of promoting a common interest or goal among its members. These organizations often have a social, charitable, or educational focus and may have rituals and traditions that members participate in.

2. How do I become a member of a fraternal organization?

The process for becoming a member of a fraternal organization varies depending on the specific organization. Generally, interested individuals can inquire about membership requirements and fill out an application. Some organizations may have additional steps such as interviews or a probationary period.

3. What are the benefits of joining a fraternal organization?

Joining a fraternal organization can offer a sense of community and belonging, opportunities for personal and professional development, and a chance to participate in philanthropic activities. Members also often develop strong bonds with their fellow members and have access to networking and career advancement opportunities.

4. Are there any specific requirements for joining a fraternal organization?

Each fraternal organization may have its own set of requirements for membership. These may include a minimum age, academic or professional qualifications, and character references. Some organizations may also have restrictions based on gender, race, or religion.

5. How can I find a fraternal organization to join?

There are many ways to find a fraternal organization to join. You can ask friends or family members who are members of organizations for recommendations, attend recruitment events at schools or in the community, or search online for organizations that align with your interests or values. It is important to research and carefully consider any organization before joining to ensure it is a good fit for you.

Back